What are the 8 main dirt pedals?

What's Hot
124»

Comments

• maharg101maharg101 Frets: 732
    Sporky said:
    The Zvex Machine is unlike anything else I know of - it is a crossover distortion, so no clipping, just a weird mangling around every zero crossing. 
    I've always wanted to get one of these, but you rarely see them in the wild at a sensible price.

This one goes to eleven

Trading feedback here
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27495
    GoFish said:

JayGee said:
    GoFish said:
    I think Vertex was probably where all the shitty practices (as opposed to Devi's shitty builds) combined in to create the pinnacle of pedal huckster-ism. 

Was that better of worse than the Freekish Blues Alpha Drive thing…

Pretty much the same, I think. But Vertex did not have the good grace or shame to go gently into the night. He apologised then came back. Then doubled down and continued to release all manner of stuff. Then got a Youtube channel to sell himself and his wares to more unsuspecting innocents. I think the only people who take him seriously are those who genuinely don't know.

In any (business-y or sometimes academic) field there are always those who just copy and steal. Lie, deny, deflect and obfuscate. Have nothing original to contribute but are desperate to be seen as a genuine innovator. He appears to be one of those. A proper plagarist.

Sorry if I have offended anyone. Of course I'll apologise if I'm wrong.
    The Vertex guy still has colossal gumption online and learned precisely zero from the debacle. He frequently states utter nonsense in his videos as if it's gospel truth, then deletes or flags any comments suggesting that maybe he's not right, even when they're completely reasonably

It saddens me that has gets access to some really great musicians via his channel and it saddens me that sometime I click on his thumbnails without seeing the channel name first... 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • snowblindsnowblind Frets: 408
    edited May 13
    @GoFish ;; I thought there were only 3 stories that were the basis of all others. Happy to be corrected on that tho'.

And if there are only 8 fundamental drive pedals why do we all own on average 163 of the damn things?

Old, overweight and badly maintained. Unlike my amps which are just old and overweight.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • KurtisKurtis Frets: 786
    edited May 13
    maharg101 said:
    Sporky said:
    The Zvex Machine is unlike anything else I know of - it is a crossover distortion, so no clipping, just a weird mangling around every zero crossing. 
    I've always wanted to get one of these, but you rarely see them in the wild at a sensible price.

Nice!

One of those feedback pedals with that would sound good. Bit of wah perchance. 
  • GoFishGoFish Frets: 1496
    snowblind said:
    @GoFish ;; I thought there were only 3 stories that were the basis of all others. Happy to be corrected on that tho'.

And if there are only 8 fundamental drive pedals why do we all own on average 163 of the damn things?

We should compare Story, erm, stories to get to the bottom of this. I think we could probably slice the onion both ways. :)

Fundemental shmundemtnal ... it's the most minor details we chase! Not in a mix, not with the drums, just the smallest perceptable differences between essentially identical sounds - or better yet, "the feel"

Ten years too late and still getting it wrong
  • snowblindsnowblind Frets: 408
    That sets my mind at rest. At least it isn't just to own as many gadgets with "muff" on them as possible,
    Old, overweight and badly maintained. Unlike my amps which are just old and overweight.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ReverendReverend Frets: 5094
    randella said:
    The Metal Zone I think gets misunderstood in a way similar to the Guv'nor II. They're preamps in a box and need running into a flat, clean amp. I like mine, although I don't play much metal so it's generally used to prop my office door open.

I need to try a Rat at some point - my taste in music is a bit simplistic for this convo given that most of it was probably recorded with some sort of combo of TS/SD1/Rat > Marshall :).
    I use the Guv'nor II into a crunchy amp. IT sound great, and in fact I used it last night for rehearsal and will be gigging with it on Saturday at Desertfest