New Music Theory/Guitar Instruction Blog

What's Hot
BlitzstarBlitzstar Frets: 4

Hello Everyone,

I’m new to The Fretboard and just wanted to let everyone know that I recently published a blog of music theory as it relates to guitar playing (appropriately called “music theory and the guitar”) and thought some of you might find it useful.

The goal of the blog is to provide a frame of reference that will allow students to see the big picture of music so that they can more easily understand where the individual pieces fit.

If anyone is interested, it can be accessed at https://blitzstarguitar.com/blog/ .

Please let me know if you find it helpful.  And if you have any questions or anything you want to discuss, I’m here.

Frank

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• TanninTannin Frets: 5499
    Nice work, @Blitzstar! It looks very well organised and logically thought out. 

As an aside, a small discovery it prompted just now - new to me but old news to many (of course). It has never particularly occurred to me to finger a 6th chord the way you illustrate but the diagram immediately leapt out as familiar. For me it provided the clearest illustration yet of the very close relationship between a major 6th and the relative minor 7th - the exact same chord, in fact, just a matter of which note we decide to think of as the root. 

So there is a nice little gem of learning for me. I will look forward to exploring elsewhere on your site. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RevolutionsRevolutions Frets: 219
    This is great. Clearly written, well structured & easy to follow. Some great reminders of simple rules that I’d forgotten. Thanks for sharing :)
  • guitarjack66guitarjack66 Frets: 1881
    I had never heard of the cycle of dominants,only the cycle/circle of 4ths and 5ths which also feature there. I will go back to that later. Nice one.
  • joeWjoeW Frets: 464
    Tannin said:
    Very close relationship between a major 6th and the relative minor 7th - the exact same chord, in fact, just a matter of which note we decide to think of as the root. 

Also a minor 6th with the 6 in the bass is minor seven flat five. 

@Blitzstar ;This is a very helpful blog - often see folks looking for info to improve their theory base.  
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • vizviz Frets: 10708
    I had never heard of the cycle of dominants,only the cycle/circle of 4ths and 5ths which also feature there. I will go back to that later. Nice one.
    It’s the same thing. 

Great blog, very concise. 
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • SupportactSupportact Frets: 977
    Thanks @Blitzstar I will definitely have a read of this.
  • finest1finest1 Frets: 94
    bookmarked!
  • BlitzstarBlitzstar Frets: 4
    Thank you all for taking the time to read  some of the blog and for your comments.  Yes, a minor seventh chord is the enharmonic equivalent of a major sixth and a minor seventh, flat five chord is the enharmonic equivalent of a minor sixth chord.

What you call the chord depends on the key you are in and the chord's function in the progression. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SixStringSageSixStringSage Frets: 135
    Tannin said:
    Nice work, @Blitzstar! It looks very well organised and logically thought out. 

As an aside, a small discovery it prompted just now - new to me but old news to many (of course). It has never particularly occurred to me to finger a 6th chord the way you illustrate but the diagram immediately leapt out as familiar. For me it provided the clearest illustration yet of the very close relationship between a major 6th and the relative minor 7th - the exact same chord, in fact, just a matter of which note we decide to think of as the root. 

So there is a nice little gem of learning for me. I will look forward to exploring elsewhere on your site. 
    I'm curious to see this, which part of the blog did you see the diagram?