Preamp - Benson v Broadcast

What's Hot
Kent747Kent747 Frets: 261
in FX
I’ve done the video watches, I combed through that other forum and I’m here to ask. 

I’m intrigued by a Benson Preamp instead of my Hudson Broadcast. Anyone have both? I realise they’re different but has anyone gone from one to the other? The Hudson is my ‘always on’ pedal (along with a Diamond Comp) because I run a Dr Z M12 that takes effort to break up. The Benson sounds amazing - but so is the Hudson. 

Anyone have thoughts?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• edenfield99edenfield99 Frets: 349
    I went with the Benson over the Broadcast. I found the Benson more versatile (I can use it as a preamp if I go ampless, a boost into my driven amp or as a base overdriven tone into a clean one) and had a wider range of sounds than the Hudson. 
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27133
    I adore the Benson and didn’t like the Broadcast, even though I really wanted to. 

Whereas the Benson I can fit into almost any rig and rarely have it unplugged at home
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • GoFishGoFish Frets: 1422
    I have both. Here's the answer you probably didn't want - They both do their own thing with some overlap. I run the Benson into the Broadcast, though rarely on together.

The Benson actually exceeded my expctations. It feels like a FET overdrive rather than a preamp, though you'd know it's meant to be the preamp from the "Chimera" amp with FETs replacing valves. It's actually replaced several low gainers I switch between. At low settings it sounds Blues Breaker-ish to me, but with a slightly fuzzy bottom end and a bit more autoritah like a Timmy has. I'm still in the honeymoon phase with this one, so I haven't really experiemented. I've found the setting like the sound in my head and I'm scared to move it! I do prefer it to the Fairfield Barbershop as it seems to have more character to me, but it's a character I like. The Barbershop is clearer and lower gain.

The Broadcast is the much better known on thse pages. It really does seem to be more of a preamp, complete with the wee little transformer! It's both clear at very low gain and gritter / grainier in the bass, all the way up to console preamp, ala Revolution and then some. The basic sound is not my go-to, but it's fabulous in its own right and a nice contrast with smoother drives. Can be used in high gain mode using the guitar volume cause it cleans up so well. At very low gain settings, it sounds like the host amp turned up.

I've included this section on the Broadcast  so that you can calibrate my rambling to your ears.

I will say that the Jeds Peds version of the Benson is really very good, if you wanted to dip your toe in.
    Ten years too late and still getting it wrong
  • MajorscaleMajorscale Frets: 1563
    edited April 6
    Owned both at the same time…several times. Still have two Benson preamps!

I also have two Hudson Sidecars for balance!
  • LebarqueLebarque Frets: 3884
    No control of the high end on the Hudson was a non-starter for me. Sounds brilliant though.
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9574
    I adore the Benson and didn’t like the Broadcast, even though I really wanted to. 

Whereas the Benson I can fit into almost any rig and rarely have it unplugged at home
    This
  • DoctorXDoctorX Frets: 367
    Had them both at the same time. I got rid of the Broadcast, didn’t think much of it.
  • dangriffithsdangriffiths Frets: 573
    I wanted to like broadcast (tried twice) but didn’t. The benson is fantastic versatile, just sounds great and I won’t be selling it ever. The DCX boost in conjunction does way more than the broadcast but covers similar vibe and sounds excellent. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Just to expand after a bottle of wine.. I actually got the Automatone first on a good deal, then picked up a “mk1” Preamp when on holiday in Portland last year. When I got home I realised I’d been running the Automatone with all its bells & whistles with exactly the same settings I’d found I liked on the regular Preamp. 

So while I also highly recommend the Automatone, I very highly recommend the regular Benson Preamp! 
  • Kent747Kent747 Frets: 261
    Thanks all. May order a Benson….
  • digitalkettledigitalkettle Frets: 3275
    Just to expand after a bottle of wine.. I actually got the Automatone first on a good deal, then picked up a “mk1” Preamp when on holiday in Portland last year... 
    Is that a 'mk1' Benson Preamp? Has there been multiple releases of this?

Can't find any info...but the Benson Delay had an informal shift to v2 in the early days.
    Just to expand after a bottle of wine.. I actually got the Automatone first on a good deal, then picked up a “mk1” Preamp when on holiday in Portland last year... 

Can't find any info...but the Benson Delay had an informal shift to v2 in the early days.
    Sort of - the Chase Bliss Automatone is referred to as “Preamp mk2”, and is partnership with Benson 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • DanielsguitarsDanielsguitars Frets: 3297
    tFB Trader
    I've got a benson preamp and it'll never go anywhere, it's a great versatile overdrive, from low gain to a fuzz, it works great with a clean ish amp, I won't even bother looking for anything else now.
    www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
  • timbuk02timbuk02 Frets: 271

Looks like they have realeased a Germanium version of the Preamp

• timbuk02timbuk02 Frets: 271
    edited April 8
    comparison vids - interesting in one the differences sounds minimal, in the other more substntial

I think the germanium probably sounds quite similar but feels a little squishier. I don’t have a desperate yearning for one but will keep an eye open for any good colours…
  • chris-mountchris-mount Frets: 7
    I've got a Broadcast which I love. It's the Dual Footswitch version from Regent Sounds. But now this thread has me looking at the Benson Pre-Amp so I can compare. Serious GAS now.