what type of fixing is this?

What's Hot
parker_knollparker_knoll Frets: 85
edited April 7 in Amps
I’ve provisionally bought a knackered ‘60s Ampeg R12R and I’m going on Tuesday to take a look at it. 

It’s got a new 240V transformer, new speaker and I’ll find out what else when I get the back off, but there’s the rub. The seller sent me some photos and it has these weird fixings. Anyone know what they are so I can go equipped with the right tools to open it up? It doesn’t look like the current owner ever has. 

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Gk-dgXiYlDo-ODvnUK7gUoOyCeetyWiH/view?usp=share_link
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• nero1701nero1701 Frets: 1437
    It kinda looks like a rivet, 
  • BillDLBillDL Frets: 7285
    Does it have a little pin in the middle of the hole?
  • parker_knollparker_knoll Frets: 85
    nero1701 said:
    It kinda looks like a rivet, 
    but who would rivet the back onto an amp?

BillDL said:
    Does it have a little pin in the middle of the hole?
    unfortunately I won’t see it in person until Tuesday. Was hoping to go equipped with the right tool
    could be top right on here?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • RiftAmpsRiftAmps Frets: 3171
    edited April 7 tFB Trader
    RiftAmps said:
    You need a #2 Clutch Head Screwdriver
    yep, just got there myself! In fact I emailed you just now because apparently you used to maintain this. 
    Maintain is incorrect. I resurrected it from the dead and don’t remember seeing it again! I don’t think Aynsley held onto it for long. 
    *I no longer offer replacement speaker baffles*
    Rift Amplification
    Handwired Guitar Amplifiers
    Brackley, Northamptonshire
    www.riftamps.co.uk

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72415
    I have a driver for those somewhere too, from memory Ampeg are the only company who used them in the musical instrument world.

They’re intended to be ‘tamper proof’, but are frankly just a nuisance on something like this. I would replace them with standard crosshead screws.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• ecc83ecc83 Frets: 1636
    As ICBM says, most likely a tamper proof screw. If you have a "Rock Bottom" type shop near you they will likely have a set of 20 or so bits in a plastic tray that cater for just about every such bloody nuisance. The bits are not of the highest quality but you only need to use one a few times.
    Or you can often start the screw out with a sharp punch then get pliers on it. Then bin 'em and go Pozi!

Dave.
    Grabbed a set of bits on Amazon, should be here tomorrow
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72415
    ecc83 said:

Or you can often start the screw out with a sharp punch then get pliers on it. Then bin 'em and go Pozi!
    No, don’t knacker them or bin them. They’re original, and vintage Ampeg people like them. I would put them in a plastic bag and attach it inside the cabinet somewhere, eg with one of the baffle screws.

You can always fashion some sort of driver that will fit from an old screwdriver if you don’t have a proper Clutch driver.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• ecc83ecc83 Frets: 1636
    ICBM said:
    ecc83 said:

No, don’t knacker them or bin them. They’re original, and vintage Ampeg people like them. I would put them in a plastic bag and attach it inside the cabinet somewhere, eg with one of the baffle screws.

You can always fashion some sort of driver that will fit from an old screwdriver if you don’t have a proper Clutch driver.

Ah, good point! There's nowt so queer as folk. Yes, if you don't for instance have the right Allen key, buy a cheap set and take file to one and tap it in with a hammer. Bell & Howell projectors were full of the hilariously named "Bristol Screws" Called "Torques" now.

Dave.
  • BillDLBillDL Frets: 7285
    I've never encountered a Clutch head fastener, so this info is really useful to me.  Just in case the images disappear in the future, for the benefit of those happening upon this thread here is one that will remain.

They're original but there's only two out of about ten left. That said, I won't bin them
  • jca74jca74 Frets: 335

The one I'm missing here is the 'mashed-up-made-of-cheese-supposedly-pozidrive' head...
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • randellarandella Frets: 4178
    jca74 said:
    The one I'm missing here is the 'mashed-up-made-of-cheese-supposedly-pozidrive' head...
    :lol:

Aka the "I'm tired, been at this all day, and some clown's used slotted head screws to fix this thing I need to remove. Pass me that impact driver, we'll be sorted in a jiffy" type.