Waterloo - 50 years ago - April 1974

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22987
    Ha Ha I got a warning for my post.
    I guess people read what they want and filter parts to suite there thoughts on subjects.
    Firstly it used to be a family watched TV Saturday night light entertainment show when we only had two and three channels on tv to choose from in the UK during the 50s 60s 70s 80s.
    Like Sunday night at the London Palladium .
    Factoid it has become the biggest watched Gay LBGT music annual television program on television today.
    You don’t now just get the live competition anymore You get weeks of build up programs all over the world.
    Australia was not in Europe the last time I looked but they have a massive LGBGT population and that’s why they are in it and TV distribution sales .
    Im not against Heterosexual LGBGT and the still not sure contingent in anyway .
    Just stated a fact .
    Pretty much all the TV presenters of Eurovision now are gay so flame me for that factoid if you must.
    I haven watched in decades.
    You haven't watched in decades but you know all these "factoids".  How did you pick them up?  Telepathy?  Or maybe gaydar?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31621
    Since when did being camp stop a show being family entertainment? 

Why can't it be both? Plenty of shows were, even in my 1960s and 70s childhood. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14491
    edited April 9
    Exactly.

I love the camp humour in Round The Horne. Williams and Paddick played it up something rotten whilst Horne himself was, in every sense, the straight man, usually feigning ignorance.

FYI, Fingers657 is now in the cooler. He is, therefore, unavailable to defend his position. 
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 18847
    FYI, Fingers657 is now in the cooler. He is, therefore, unavailable to defend his position. 
    You mean that he was earlier?
    6reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • danishbacondanishbacon Frets: 2695
    Pride Brighton was very much a family affair when I covered it in 2016. I expect it’s still the case, as is Eurovision. 

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14491
    You mean that he was earlier?
    LOL + Wiz = Wow!

I mean that it would be unfair to kick a man while he is down. That is the job of the Metropolitan Police.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ReverendReverend Frets: 5005
    TV was better when you had traditional manly straight men, y'know, like Kenneth Williams, frankie howard, john Inman and larry grayson. Erm....
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28457
    I mean that it would be unfair to kick a man while he is down. That is the job of the Metropolitan Police.
    I thought they mostly went for women. 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24422
    Something about ABBA that gets overlook are the frankly fantastic basslines.

They really fall into the category of - if they were missing you would notice it - type. They drive the songs in an almost secret way.  Rutger Gunnarsson was a genius. No wonder he played on all their albums.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • KurtisKurtis Frets: 671
    ABBA songs were always fifty years old. 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • merlinmerlin Frets: 6698
    edited April 9
    Pride Brighton was very much a family affair when I covered it in 2016. I expect it’s still the case, as is Eurovision. 

I live fairly close to Preston Park, where it takes place. 

When I first moved here, it was a free event and you could watch the parade and then wander in off the streets, grab a patch of grass and sit and watch the bands and it was fun. 

And it was a celebration and a fabulous moment of diversity, tolerance and acceptance. 

Now it's high ticket prices, security fences, queues like Glasto, high prices once you're inside, loads of truncheoned police in high Viz and the usual shit. 

Capitalism, once again has destroyed it. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • PolarityManPolarityMan Frets: 7294
    That biffy clyro song that rips off abba is pretty bangin
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16111
    You youngsters
    I actually remember watching the battle itself ........
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • AK99AK99 Frets: 1590
    Gassage said:

However, in the interests of social harmony, continued learning and personal development, please do feel free to share these views with me face to face sometime.

I'm gonna save that for future usage .. :)
  • BoromedicBoromedic Frets: 4844

They really fall into the category of - if they were missing you would notice it - type. They drive the songs in an almost secret way.  Rutger Gunnarsson was a genius. No wonder he played on all their albums.
    You read my mind, that's how I feel about the music too, obviously the songcraft is top notch but the bass playing is amazing.

My head said brake, but my heart cried never.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72469
    Kurtis said:
    ABBA songs were always fifty years old. 
    Some of them really do sound like they should have been written decades before they were, or somehow always existed as traditional popular songs, they’re just so natural and familiar… but no, Bjorn and Benny actually wrote them. That’s probably the real mark of the greatness of their writing.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• guitartangoguitartango Frets: 1027
    Gassage said:
    Reading this I am actually amazed at a couple of the comments- it's hardly surprising some of the LGBTQIA+ community were unable to be themselves back then having to put up with shit like that.

However, in the interests of social harmony, continued learning and personal development, please do feel free to share these views with me face to face sometime.

I believe the modern idiom is - fuck around and find out.
    Why dont you insult some "Hetro Men" , end in the cooler and then you and Fingers can have a face to face chat :)

Only joking of course  =)
    “Ken sent me.”
  • bassborabassbora Frets: 132

I have always loved the bass lines on most ABBA songs and I also thought Gunnarsson played on all their songs but found out recently that he didn’t play Mama Mia. Are there any other songs he did not play or was that just one off? 
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33804
    Gassage said:
    Reading this I am actually amazed at a couple of the comments- it's hardly surprising some of the LGBTQIA+ community were unable to be themselves back then having to put up with shit like that.

I believe the modern idiom is - fuck around and find out.
    I'm late to this discussion but +fucking1.

It blows my mind that people are expressing these views.