JTM45 Question

What's Hot
GassageGassage Frets: 30928
Which reissues are KT66 equipped?

thx

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ecc83ecc83 Frets: 1636
    Looking at an EL34 schematic I don't think there is much to do except a bias setting? You would need to do that for any valve change anyway. I am sure ICBM will put us right before long?

Dave.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30928
    ecc83 said:
    Looking at an EL34 schematic I don't think there is much to do except a bias setting? You would need to do that for any valve change anyway. I am sure ICBM will put us right before long?

Dave.
    5881 version?

• GavRichListGavRichList Frets: 7164
    my understanding is that they're interchangeable, subject to the usual bias. 
    Cheers Gav

• GavRichListGavRichList Frets: 7164
    No worries. If you're thinking about getting one...do! Bloody lovely thing. My favourite amp, fwiw. Oh, and if you get one, don't use the standby switch - Rectifier killer. 
    "and if you get one, don't use the standby switch - Rectifier killer." I know a mod for that if anyone is interested.

Dave.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72415
    All reissue JTM45s use 6L6-family valves, so can use KT66s with just a bias adjustment if necessary.

Reissues omit the small cap on the upstream side of the standby switch, which can be fitted to reduce the possibility of the rectifier arcing when using the standby. Originals had the cap, so it’s more historically correct anyway.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

Hi IC, the schematic I found shows a total of 64uF on the cathode of the GZ34 and that is the absolute valve data max and allowing for the wide tolerance of electros AND rubbish modern rectifiers I am not surprised they die! I would put 10 Ohms between the two caps. And JUST to further upset the cork sniffers! A 1N4007 in each anode!

Dave.
  • breadfanbreadfan Frets: 379
    ecc83 said:
    "and if you get one, don't use the standby switch - Rectifier killer." I know a mod for that if anyone is interested.

Dave.
    I’ve heard this about AC30s but never JTM45s.

I have a Gartone clone & always use the standby switch.

Is the mod common?

Well- my question is moot now as I bought a Lerxst instead!

breadfan said:
    ecc83 said:

Dave.
    I’ve heard this about AC30s but never JTM45s.

I have a Gartone clone & always use the standby switch.

Is the mod common?

I doubt it! It uses those 'Devices of Old Nick, modern thermistors and (eeek!) SILICON diodes!

Dave.