No GAS - help!

What's Hot
ElectricXIIElectricXII Frets: 1135
For the first time since I can remember I am happy with the guitars, amps and pedals I already have, and I'm not GASsing for anything.

I hesitated to post this in case I was summarily thrown out of the forum.

Is there something wrong with me?
4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• SporkySporky Frets: 28569
    Yes, but it'll probably pass without medication. 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • ALRALR Frets: 122
    No there isn’t, I’m the same. Happy with all my gear, don’t want any more. Just getting on with playing when I can get the time!
    My music blog:
    http://alrmusicblog.blogspot.com/ (updated Feb 2023)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TeyeplayerTeyeplayer Frets: 3230
    For the first time since I can remember I am happy with the guitars, amps and pedals I already have, and I'm not GASsing for anything.
    You disgust me, posting this utter filth where member’s better halves may see it. ;)

Don’t worry, it should pass swiftly. 
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • LionAquaLooperLionAquaLooper Frets: 1129
    edited April 9
    You're not really happy with your gear. You're probably just very busy at work. 
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ChimpankieChimpankie Frets: 339
    I'm relatively happy and am not gassing for anything. Don't get me wrong, there's a list in my head of stuff I'll get down the line but I'm not doing that 'setting Ebay and reverb alerts, routinely checking Fretboard/Facebook/Gumtree' thing. 

I do really fancy one of those new S2 Velas with the NF neck pickups but I'm happy to wait for one to pop up on the used market in 18 months or so :relaxed: 

• CaseOfAceCaseOfAce Frets: 1359
    Been this way for quite a while - I've got a couple of nice Fenders, a decent amp or 2 and a few Boss pedals and it all gets gigged and / or played at home. 
    ...she's got Dickie Davies eyes...
  • Paul_CPaul_C Frets: 7821

Me too !

(not that surprising) though I do have one more on the way it's likely to be a replacement for one already here.

Based on past experience the feeling will pass :)
    "I'll probably be in the bins at Newport Pagnell services."  fretmeister
  • swillerswiller Frets: 1262
    Deep breath... Yes there is something wrong with you.
    • Do you have a bass? if not, a battered 70s fender jazz is a must.
    • How about a les paul custom with triple humbuckers.
    • have you tried late 80s strats?
    • You need a JMI era ac30 with blue speakers. If you have one already, how are you doing stereo?

Dont worry, be silly.
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Pete.RPete.R Frets: 399
    edited April 9

Is there something wrong with me?

I guess you really need professional help......LOL

I too like what I have...
    the search becomes a little more challenging....
  • LionAquaLooperLionAquaLooper Frets: 1129
    edited April 9
    In all seriousness, there's nothing wrong with you and many people would probably love to be in your situation. I'm the same in terms of FX and amps. My HX FX and Nux Cerberus (paired with a simple cheap Joyo American Sound) were game changers for me. 

Guitars on the other hand - there are just too many nice colours and finishes to keep up with that I'll never be satisfied it seems  
  • chris78chris78 Frets: 9347
    Get yourself to coda or peach then say you’re happy with your gear.
    If the answer is “yes”, I'm afraid there is something wrong with you.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • strtdvstrtdv Frets: 2467
    I had a bit of a reshuffle in the past few months, bought some new stuff for the first time since about 2017 I think.
    Some of it got sold as quickly as it got bought (an 8 string), some of it will be staying for the long term (Fender Custom Shop Tele and Helix LT), and some stuff I got rid of simply because I didn't need it or use it anymore (TC Nova System and a couple of other pedals, and a Les Paul Special Doublecut as my playing time is limited and I don't love 24.75" scale guitars enough to actually play them regularly).

I also got a patch cable kit and tidied up my pedalboard which had been on the "to do" list for years. 

I was happy with everything before, and I'm happy with everything now too, no real GAS to speak of. 

Every so often I think I'd like a nicer acoustic guitar but then I remember I'm not actually very good on the acoustic guitar and it seems a bit excessive. 

A lot of what I have now is the result of a long iterative process to get what I really want and enjoy and sounds like "me" when I play it, so I can't imagine changing most of it ever really

Robot Lords of Tokyo, SMILE TASTE KITTENS!
  • YorkieYorkie Frets: 1520
    Been here for half an hour, trying to crack a gas joke. 

There’s nothing funny about gas. 

Well done for evacuating it. 
    Adopted northerner with Asperger syndrome. I sometimes struggle with empathy and sarcasm – please bear with me.   
    My trading feedback: https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/210335/yorkie

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11327
    You may not have conscious gas but you almost certainly have unconscious gas. You just have to work out what will trigger it to become conscious.

I'm surprised that guitar shops don't offer this sort of one-to-one counselling for a modest fee.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • NeilNeil Frets: 3636
    I'm pretty much the same with my stuff  but I still look through the classifieds here hoping to find something to tickle my fancy but never do.

Tiresome isn't it? 
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9718
    edited April 10
    I sold off the guitars that weren’t getting played so much. I’m down to three now (from six) and am pretty happy with what I’ve got. I’m also operating a (not particularly strict) one-in one-out policy at the moment so the numbers shouldn’t change too much. I’m happier now with my three guitars than I ever was with six.

It’s been said here before that the biggest con the industry ever came up with was to convince people that they needed more than a couple of guitars.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
  • YorkieYorkie Frets: 1520
    The number of guitars I have is correlated with my stress levels. More stress, more guitars. 
    Adopted northerner with Asperger syndrome. I sometimes struggle with empathy and sarcasm – please bear with me.   
    My trading feedback: https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/210335/yorkie

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ScreamingDaveScreamingDave Frets: 553
    You, Sir, are a perfectly healthy specimen, just like me.  I have all the gear I want/need (and, in fact, freely admit to, probably, having too much). Enjoy it
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24484
    Bass wise I think I'm pretty much there too. The only thing I'm curious about is the Nordstrand Acinonyx bass. That looks like great fun and is tiny and light. I'm very happy with my amp / pedals

Guitar wise - I have lust for a plexi with a suitable attenuator but I also think that if I actually came to the point of handing the money over I'd just decide it wasn't worth it.

So I might just buy the odd ticket on Guitar Giveaway and leave it to fate.
  • ElectricXIIElectricXII Frets: 1135
    Thanks for the comments everyone. It seems I'm not alone in being happy with what I've got (in my case, four electrics, one acoustic, three amps and a dozen or so pedals). It's taken me a while to get here though, but the journey has been interesting and sometimes fun.

I daresay some new toy might take my fancy at some time in the future, but my goal now is to get better at playing with what I've got, and gig more before I can no longer lug my amps around.