Selling your recorded music at gigs USB instead of CDs, cassette, downloads etc?

What's Hot
JCA2550JCA2550 Frets: 439
As we all know successfully selling LPs and EPs as CDs at gigs, or by post has dropped off dramatically in recent years. I think I recently saw a thread about selling merch and putting music onto USB sticks was mentioned?

Has anyone had success with this and if so, would you care to share some pointers and experiences?

Cheers,

C
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• pt22pt22 Frets: 279
    No way am I plugging some foreign USB stick into my computer. This is a bad idea.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • RiftAmpsRiftAmps Frets: 3172
    tFB Trader
    pt22 said:
    No way am I plugging some foreign USB stick into my computer. This is a bad idea.
    Exactly this.
    *I no longer offer replacement speaker baffles*
    Rift Amplification
    Handwired Guitar Amplifiers
    Brackley, Northamptonshire
    www.riftamps.co.uk

• TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 10256
    edited April 10
    Everything is stored online or locally. People don't use USB sticks anymore. Many Macbooks don't even have USB A ports these days.

You'd be better off handing flyer or cards out with a QR code that links to your soundcloud or Spotify or whatever. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • roundthebendroundthebend Frets: 1137
    If you want to get the payment on the day, rather than rely on people to remember to buy afterwards you could sell vouchers to redeem your stuff. Using something like Shopify that ought to be fairly workable. You could even have a tablet that people can use to enter their email address so the download link can be sent to them, with a card machine attached to process payments.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • StratavariousStratavarious Frets: 3683
    edited April 11
    We have QR codes on back of our biz cards.   Def. avoid USB.  The band camp method looks cool though.  Been toying with getting a card reader.. 
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11939
    edited April 11
    I like to buy CDs at smaller gigs, to give the artist some direct cash

I went to a Sarah McQuaid gig, and bought a USB stick containing all her albums, videos, etc. the USB had a wooden casing with a design crafted into it, I think using one of those heat-etching gadgets.

She does it mostly online though
  • WYNIR0WYNIR0 Frets: 359
    pt22 said:
    This!
    monquixote said:
    I agree with WYNIRO much as personally I think he is a total cock.

• fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24423

I went to a Sarah McQuaid gig, and bought a USB stick containing all her albums, videos, etc. the USB had a wooden casing with a design crafted into it, I think using one of those heat-etching gadgets.

That sounds like a nice product but surely a loss leader?
  • JCA2550JCA2550 Frets: 439

This is exactly what I was considering. From a quick bit of Googling personalised USB sticks with a logo, wood effect, Card-shaped, novelty or otherwise come in at about £3 to £5 each.
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11939
    JCA2550 said:

This is exactly what I was considering. From a quick bit of Googling personalised USB sticks with a logo, wood effect, Card-shaped, novelty or otherwise come in at about £3 to £5 each.
    it was full of loads of albums, sold for £50 or £60 I think
  • PolarityManPolarityMan Frets: 7294
    When I looked into it a few years ago it was basically not cost effective. 
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ