Suggestions for a reasonably priced pedal for metal distortion

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17652
    tFB Trader
    AllThumbs said:
    Took my own recommendation and bought a Joyo Uzi yesterday, which is supposedly a BE-OD clone.

Wow it sounds amazing. Fantastic hot-rodded Marshall sound, going up to full on metal dirt.

Controls are slightly different to the BE-OD, instead of a presence knob there's a full three band EQ. The BE-OD's tight control is there though - it's just called Bias on the UZI. All the way to the left gives you a fat thick tone, all the way to the right a very tight chuggy tone. 

Bargain for £40. 
    Interesting, thanks - def one to consider.  I'm think I'm set on getting something with mids control, and a single knob rather than the MT2 2-knob mids set-up is appealing.  In fact I'm now wondering about a used MXR Super Badass which seem to be had for about £60.

I've had every pedal under the sun and I think the Super Badass is as good as all the mega Bogner pedals etc.
    Some people find it very bland, but I really like it.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17652
    tFB Trader
    AllThumbs said:
    HT986M2 said:

If your kid is happy with the metal tone they have then I’d still suggest a Bluetooth midi foot switch so that they can change between clean and distorted channels mid-song. 

As others have mentioned the THR amps can be picky with pedals. I think you really need to spend more money to get a convincing metal tone from a pedal into a clean amp. Think MXR 5150 or BE-OD.  Buy once, cry once as they say.  

If you spend less then I don’t think it will sound any better than the current built in THR tones. 
    We have an original THR10 and I'm not sure if you can get a bluetooth footswitch for that.  And I think I'd be looking for a new amp before I'd be buying premium pedals, to be honest.  Thanks for the input, though.

If space isn't a premium that's a valid consideration. 

I think a bashed up Peavey Bandit, or Marshall Valvestate would actually solve your problem for about £50-100 
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 10564
    tFB Trader
    ICBM said:
    Boss Metal Zone, or if you want really cheap, Behringer Ultra Metal - it's a copy of the Boss. Personally I thought the Behringer sounded very marginally better! But I don't play metal, so I may be coming at it wrong.
    I have the Behringer ... and it's absolutely brilliant - and stupid cheap. I use one all the time with my 7 string and it's perfect.
    I find the best sounds are using it as a preamp into the poweramp on my Marshall combo. Okay the case is plastic ... but at the price these go for ... you can buy two for £50.   
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

• Mr_ClawMr_Claw Frets: 95
    snowblind said:
    Cheap - Behringer HM300 or the more expensive "real" version Boss HM-2. 

BTW if you stick a TC Spark boost in front of an HM-2 things get pretty biblical, specially with a nice delay after it.  
    Yep. Boss HM2 / Behringer HM300. Can do a LOT more than metal  but really does the metal thing.