Fender 68 Vibro Champ

What's Hot
ditchboyditchboy Frets: 300
I’m trying to sell my PG Spark in the classified and just looking for a smaller living room amp. The PG is very good but I’m not one for fiddling too much which has eventually dawned on me. Do any members have any experience of the 68 as this was what I was possibly going to replace it with. Or maybe a 57 champ but the 68 looks more versatile. I’d appreciate any input. 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• GoFishGoFish Frets: 1415
    Almost every valve amp will be a clean amp at living room volumes. If that's okay with you, I'd try a 68. Digital verb + trem and  sweet clean sound.

The 57 champ is in Tone King Gremlin price territory - that's got the ironman attenuator attached.

Don't discount the Supro Delta models. The 8" baby one is one loud watt and has a gain knob too.

For drive some bigger models with gain and  volume controls can work very well, and be cheaper too - Laney Cub12 or Marshall DSL40 are reportedly great for this.
    Ten years too late and still getting it wrong
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7771
    The 68, nice amp, is much fuller than the 57.

Supro is nice too.
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12394
    If you are into a clean sounds my opinion was the 68 vibro champ and 68 princeton and the tone king gremlin for that matter can't compete with the 65 princeton or the original silverface champs.  If clean isn't what you are after then any would be a good choice.
  • ditchboyditchboy Frets: 300
    Thanks @munckee I have a 64 Princeton upstairs. Looking for something clean with a small footprint as it has to fit into a small space. 
  • GoFishGoFish Frets: 1415
    If you really like the sound of the Princeton, I'd find it hard to look beyond the 68, if only for the complementary black and silver panels.

You could go for a 70s champ, as @munckee says. Smaller than the 68. Nicer, imo, than the  57.
    Ten years too late and still getting it wrong
    Get a 70s vibro champ!
  • benecolbenecol Frets: 400
    This seems like an apt time to mention that I'm selling a lovely sf Vibrochamp in the Classifieds at the moment.
  • PALPAL Frets: 540
    I have a 68 Custom Princeton Reverb which I like. I wanted a smaller version so ordered the Vibro Champ.
      I wasn't impressed it wasn't like one I hade tried out before I think Fender made a cheaper version it didn't have a cover
      the silver panel looked dull by comparison most importantly it sounded dull. I question Fender on the issues and they weren't
      helpful. I returned the amp and I'm done with Fender now.
      If you like the Fender sound I would buy a used Blues Junior or an early 68 Custom Princeton reverb.
      The only thing is make sure to change the voltage to the UK 240v and with the Princeton do the R34 Mod.
      Hoe this helps.

PAL said:
    I have a 68 Custom Princeton Reverb which I like. I wanted a smaller version so ordered the Vibro Champ.
      I wasn't impressed it wasn't like one I hade tried out before I think Fender made a cheaper version it didn't have a cover
      the silver panel looked dull by comparison most importantly it sounded dull. I question Fender on the issues and they weren't
      helpful. I returned the amp and I'm done with Fender now.
      If you like the Fender sound I would buy a used Blues Junior or an early 68 Custom Princeton reverb.
      The only thing is make sure to change the voltage to the UK 240v and with the Princeton do the R34 Mod.
      Hoe this helps.

I asked before if you could do a similar mod to the vibrochamp and no one seemed to know.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72416
    PAL said:

If I wanted "the Fender sound" - ie the classic mid-cut blackface/silverface sound - then just about the last thing I would buy is a Blues Junior, especially a used one which will most likely be one of the earlier versions. The MkIV is better.

munckee said:

I asked before if you could do a similar mod to the vibrochamp and no one seemed to know.
    They were too new out at that point - yes, they can have the voltage swap done.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

ICBM said:
    PAL said:

If I wanted "the Fender sound" - ie the classic mid-cut blackface/silverface sound - then just about the last thing I would buy is a Blues Junior, especially a used one which will most likely be one of the earlier versions. The MkIV is better.

munckee said:

They were too new out at that point - yes, they can have the voltage swap done.
    So do the voltage swap, throw the speaker away and put a jensen alnico in and you'd have a decent amp.
    munckee said:

So do the voltage swap, throw the speaker away and put a jensen alnico in and you'd have a decent amp.
    If it's the Blues Junior, replacing the cabinet makes a bigger difference than the speaker, surprisingly - although doing both is best. I haven't tried the Vibro Champ yet, but the stock speaker doesn't exactly fill me with enthusiasm...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• EpsilonEpsilon Frets: 621
    ICBM said:
    munckee said:

If it's the Blues Junior, replacing the cabinet makes a bigger difference than the speaker, surprisingly - although doing both is best. I haven't tried the Vibro Champ yet, but the stock speaker doesn't exactly fill me with enthusiasm...
    Best tonal upgrade you can make to a Blues Junior is to replace the cabinet, speaker and all other components with an entirely new amplifier. Such a boring amp.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ditchboyditchboy Frets: 300
    Epsilon said:
    ICBM said:
    munckee said:

Best tonal upgrade you can make to a Blues Junior is to replace the cabinet, speaker and all other components with an entirely new amplifier. Such a boring amp.
     =) it’s never been on my radar tbh. A 68, a Supro, one of the Cornell’s (traveller probably) or a dragonfly was what I’d been looking at. I should have just kept the Mustang LT really.  
    edited April 12
    Epsilon said:

lol

I used to think that was true until I heard what they sound like in a 5E3-size pine/tweed cabinet with a Jensen speaker. The problem isn’t actually in the amp circuit.