Adding Bigsby to Gretsch 5220 Electromagnetic

DebDeb Frets: 0
Anyone have any thoughts re adding a Bigsby tremolo to a Gretsch 5220 Electromagnetic.  I just don't play it anymore, going to my Fender tele and Rickenbacker instead, but thought if it were feasible to add a Bigsby to it, I'd have it as a tremolo go-to.  Problems?  Thanks!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 7897
    edited April 14
    Get a Bigsby B30 and a Towner bar.

i’m about to do that to one of mine. 
  • ElectricXIIElectricXII Frets: 1134
    +1 on the Towner bar.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72497
    I would put a Les Trem on it. No permanent modification required and no installation costs.

OK it won't look quite right on a Gretsch, but a normal Bigsby - as opposed to a Gretsch-logo/V-plate one - won't either.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• borntohangborntohang Frets: 144
    B30, B5 w/ Vibramate, or Les Trem should all be non-permanent if you want to try them out. I know they ship them with B5s as an option so should be enough break angle left to make it work. 
  • DebDeb Frets: 0
    TheMarlin said:
    Get a Bigsby B30 and a Towner bar.

i’m about to do that to one of mine. 
    Just checking back in to see if you've made the Bigsby mod yet to your Gretsch.  If so, how do you like it?
  • DebDeb Frets: 0
    I think I'm going to go with the B3 + Towner bar.  I guess I'll need metric studs since it's a Gretsch - at least the Towner website states that you should order the metric studs unless you're putting this on a Gibson.