North West Guitar Show - Haydock Park Race Course - Sunday 19th May

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• CasperCasterCasperCaster Frets: 762
    Lots of businesses at the show but also a few private individuals who've got a table to sell off a few things. The latter won't have card readers for purchases, so it's usually a.good idea to take some cash - there are cash machines at the venue, but unlike the high street they charge for use, and I seem to recall the charge/ percentage isn't trivial.

Food and drink at these venues is usually just okay so I'll be taking my own lunch, a few cans of cola and a flask of tea if it's a chilly day. There are.some grassy areas around the carpark and previously I've taken a break from the show and sat outside in the sun with my butties, then gone back in (get your hand stamped on the way.out for re-entry).
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14502
    tFB Trader
    Lots of businesses at the show but also a few private individuals who've got a table to sell off a few things. The latter won't have card readers for purchases, so it's usually a.good idea to take some cash - there are cash machines at the venue, but unlike the high street they charge for use, and I seem to recall the charge/ percentage isn't trivial.

Food and drink at these venues is usually just okay so I'll be taking my own lunch, a few cans of cola and a flask of tea if it's a chilly day. There are.some grassy areas around the carpark and previously I've taken a break from the show and sat outside in the sun with my butties, then gone back in (get your hand stamped on the way.out for re-entry).
    You'll be suggesting a FB members pic Nic with a tartan blanket, glass of Prosecco and a wicker basket next - As we sit under a tree, in the shade and chat 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • benmurray85benmurray85 Frets: 1397
    hassleham said:
    I’ve started a Just Giving Page to see if I can crowd-fund the entry fee…
    I make this comment every year and get blasted for it on here every time. It's extortionate. There's no way they wouldn't make enough money to put the show on at a lower price. 
    Why shouldn’t they make money from doing it though? Nobody is being forced to go to it..
    You’re right. I don’t begrudge anyone making money from it. 

The comment above was that the entrance fee seems expensive, with which I wholeheartedly agree. I don’t think £10 is value for the “show” that they put on. Plus the price of food when inside is absolutely disgusting.

but again, I completely appreciate I’m wholly in the minority here. 
    Surely your ire should be directed at the venues that stage these things rather than the show organisers then? I agree that it seems pricey but the exhibitors aren't causing that.
    No ire. It’s a forum where as far as I was aware we were able to share opinions on guitar based topics of conversation. I don’t think I’ve ever said it was the exhibitors fault? 

I despair with this place sometimes.
    How very rock and roll
    tFB Trader
    hassleham said:
    I make this comment every year and get blasted for it on here every time. It's extortionate. There's no way they wouldn't make enough money to put the show on at a lower price. 
    Why shouldn’t they make money from doing it though? Nobody is being forced to go to it..

The comment above was that the entrance fee seems expensive, with which I wholeheartedly agree. I don’t think £10 is value for the “show” that they put on. Plus the price of food when inside is absolutely disgusting.

Surely your ire should be directed at the venues that stage these things rather than the show organisers then? I agree that it seems pricey but the exhibitors aren't causing that.
    No ire. It’s a forum where as far as I was aware we were able to share opinions on guitar based topics of conversation. I don’t think I’ve ever said it was the exhibitors fault? 

I know I defended the cost of the show at £10 as I know 'more about what goes on behind the scene than others' - But you are right - You have a voice and you should be allowed to express thoughts  - I still defend a £10 - But then again I'm not a visitor/customer - But I have a good look around the show and ask myself 'would I pay to visit today' and in the case of this show I would nearly always say yes - You'll see far more gear for sale than in any UK guitar shop - And less of that 'corporate box shifting' gear for sale that you see on so many web sites - Hence more 'interesting'  but of course it depends on what floats your boat 

Come and say hi if you visit the show - No animosity on my part - the shows only work if we have visitors
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7091
    tFB Trader
    So how was it?  Rammed as usual with mortgage-free pensioners for whom a £10 entrance fee is a mere bagatelle?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    So how was it?  Rammed as usual with mortgage-free pensioners for whom a £10 entrance fee is a mere bagatelle?
    Early rush but then a bit quieter than I'd expect - Was it the last day of the season - Or the first good weekend of warm weather and everyone out ???? - I ended up buying more than I sold but that is not bad either as always need new stock to sell as/when - Didn't actually see many FB members, or at least they didn't say hi - I know some faces/names better than others but was a bit quite on that front 

No shortage of dealer stands hence gear etc for sale 
  • guitarjack66guitarjack66 Frets: 1932
    hassleham said:

You despair with others having an opinion different to your own? I'm not sure you've quite grasped the idea of a forum if you think that.
  • MusicwolfMusicwolf Frets: 3692
    The above pretty much describes the majority, but I did spot a surprising number of yoof plus, owing to a lapse in security, several women  :p   It felt as though numbers were down on previous years, as were the number of exhibitors.

I stopped to say hello to Mark ( @guitars4you ), tried a Hofner Ignition Bass on another stall (which was dissappointing) and was in and out in less than an hour.  Given that I only live about 15 minutes away the whole thing took up less than half the morning.

The trouble is that I've been so many times that the novelty has worn off, plus I don't actually need anything (although that has never stood in the way of further acquisitions).

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • grayngrayn Frets: 903
    This was my 6th Haydock show and as always, I enjoyed it a lot.  Didn't seem as rammed as usual but there were some new dealers, with many of the usuals.  As always there were plenty of amazing guitars, at all price ranges.  At the lower end, I enjoyed the JHS range of Vintage and other makes, including a lovely red strat style guitar with 3 mini HBs.  Great weather too.  Hope to go again next year.
  • gusman2xgusman2x Frets: 923
    I really enjoyed it, but the two things I was after (small Marshall heads and fuzz faces) seemed to be non existent at the show. 

Loved the mad bursts and pre cbs strats on the third floor in the corner. What’s the name of that dealer/shop?
    tFB Trader
    gusman2x said:
    I really enjoyed it, but the two things I was after (small Marshall heads and fuzz faces) seemed to be non existent at the show. 

Loved the mad bursts and pre cbs strats on the third floor in the corner. What’s the name of that dealer/shop?
    He is a collector and author- David Plues  - check out various books ‘burst believers’