Vintera 70s necks

What's Hot
barnstormbarnstorm Frets: 630
Now that the various Vintera 70s models have been around for a long while, is anyone able to comment, please, on whether Fender’s ‘period-accurate thin C’ / ‘early 70s C’ is appreciably different from any other profile it offers? Or is it pure marketing guff that really means ‘modern C’?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• AlexlotlAlexlotl Frets: 175
    I have a Vintera 70's Telecaster Deluxe with the 9.5" thin C neck, and a 2007 American Standard Tele with a 9.5" modern C. They're hard to compare by eye as the former has a maple boardand the latter a rosewood board, but what my hand tells me:

-  Neck thickness is about the same at the nut, but by 12th fret the thin C is definitely slightly thicker.
    - The thin C absolutely feels plankier - I'd have guessed it was 12" radius if it weren't for the spec sheet. Not sure exactly why this is the case, but I know there has been some debate/confusion about whether the original 72 Deluxes were 9.5" or 12", so perhaps it's something in the shoulders?
    - On my Deluxe, the strings run very close to the edge of the neck - the nut seems to be cut with slightly less clearance from the edge to the two E strings. Don't know how much this is by design or if it's sample variation.

I got mine second hand, and the neck alignment was slightly out, which combined with the nut cutting meant the high E was practically off the board by the 15th fret. Easy fix for my local guitar tech, and it plays great now. I seem to gravitate to it for Smiths style arpeggiated/jangly picking stuff, as the fingerboard feels like a slightly larger, flatter canvas than my other Tele.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • barnstormbarnstorm Frets: 630
    Thanks very much - that’s enough for me to know not to take a punt and buy blind. The spec sheet measurements are identical at the nut and .030in thicker at the 12th for the 70s, but wasn’t sure about any difference in shape/shoulder.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom