Looking for recommendations/help

What's Hot
I'm going to start doing some recording at home ..I have garage band although I could get something better iff needed...but I'm looking for something for writing tunes ...

I can play guitar and bass so can add them I can also add drums using garage band or maybe something else ?

Just looking at something that can automatically create keys and synths by me just inputting the chords and the software creating the keyboard part 

I know band in the box will do it ..I'm just wondering iff anything else would work better seen as though I only need to add keys 

The music will be a mix of jazz , rock and blues 

Thanks 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• jackiojackio Frets: 132
    I seem to get lots of ads on youtube offering midi packs of cords. Download them (for money in these specific instances I'm sure) and drag and drop into your daw...is that the sort of thing?

• BarneyBarney Frets: 616
    jackio said:
    I seem to get lots of ads on youtube offering midi packs of cords. Download them (for money in these specific instances I'm sure) and drag and drop into your daw...is that the sort of thing?

Thanks ...I was thinking more of composition and being able to alter things a bit like a band in a box type of thing where I could input the basic chords and get something that would sound good over track and what I could alter 
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33799
    jackio said:

Don’t buy these things. They are a waste of money.
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 6871
    octatonic said:
    jackio said:

I agree 

Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33799
    mrkb said:
    octatonic said:
    jackio said:

I agree 

That would be a waist of money.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • LionAquaLooperLionAquaLooper Frets: 1094
    Those band in a box things are a waste of money. They never play the parts like how you imagine them, unless what you're imagining is mechanical chord changes with little to no complexity.

If I were you i would wait maybe a year or two when artificial intelligence for music composition is released into the wild and make do with recording and sequencing your keyboard chord progressions on Garageband for now.  I hate the idea of AI in general but as a musical co-pilot I think it would be an amazing thing. It's not far off. 
  • digitalkettledigitalkettle Frets: 3259
    Studio One has this feature where you can add a chord track (just chord names at points on the timeline). While that’s useful in its own right, you can also add a MIDI track, add a chord voicing to it, then tell it to follow the progression…it’s a good start which you can then edit.
  • JohnS37JohnS37 Frets: 345
    If you’re comfortable with guitar and bass but want to add more instruments, try a Roland guitar synth - that’s a synth that connects to a digital pickup that you can fit to any guitar.
    I have recorded loads of my own songs and added sax, piano, B3, harmonica, accordion, brass section etc.  They are just fantastic, the sky’s the limit, and fantastic fun too.