Which Strings (not gauge - brand/wind type)

What's Hot
colourofsoundcolourofsound Frets: 395
Its been a minute since I bought any strings (we're talking years - I just haven't been playing...) and so I'm out of the game a bit when it comes to what's decent.

Back in the day it was Elixir 11's on my acoustic (of which I still have a set, so will chuck them on) and D'Addario 10's on all the electrics.

I didn't even think that flat wound was available on standard guitar strings, so that might be interesting.

I need to redo my Strat and my Tele (both Tokai-built Japanese guitars); so interested in maybe trying a different set on each. I generally play a bit of everything, but funk/rock/fusion is most common (think Snarky Puppy, Fearless Flyers etc)

The Tele is main one so that'll need the most 'standard' setup. Otherwise, I'm all ears.

What's good nowadays? :) 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• RolandRoland Frets: 8713
    A number of us like Newtone strings, particularly the round cores. Price is a little higher than high street strings, but my experience is that they last longer. You can also get custom gauge mixes at no extra cost. Given the number of fake strings in circulation, it’s good to know that won’t be a problem with Newtones.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6074
    edited April 17
    If you are interested in flats, perhaps give half rounds a try. I use D'addario 11 - 49 Half Rounds, which retain the advantages of Flats - gentle on fingers, less string noise but are not so focussed on the fundamental and have a more complex sound.
    https://www.daddario.com/products/guitar/electric-guitar/xl-half-rounds/ehr370-half-rounds-medium-11-49/
  • LestratcasterLestratcaster Frets: 1087
    I've always been an Ernie Ball user on electrics, yes they don't last as long as other brands but they feel good under my fingers and I restring often enough anyway. I try other brands for a bit but always go back to EB. 
    There was talk of String Joy on another thread and I'm slightly curious to give a pack a go.
  • colourofsoundcolourofsound Frets: 395
    edited April 17
    I've always been an Ernie Ball user on electrics, yes they don't last as long as other brands but they feel good under my fingers and I restring often enough anyway. I try other brands for a bit but always go back to EB. 
    There was talk of String Joy on another thread and I'm slightly curious to give a pack a go.
    I did start with EBs when I was first doing a lot of gigging but I found that they broke very easily (especially at the bridge) and so never felt confident using them. I've very rarely broken a D'Addario though
    edited April 17
    JezWynd said:
    If you are interested in flats, perhaps give half rounds a try. I use D'addario 11 - 49 Half Rounds, which retain the advantages of Flats - gentle on fingers, less string noise but are not so focussed on the fundamental and have a more complex sound.
    https://www.daddario.com/products/guitar/electric-guitar/xl-half-rounds/ehr370-half-rounds-medium-11-49/
    That's an interesting description - so you think nicer/more interesting for chord work?
    Roland said:
    A number of us like Newtone strings, particularly the round cores. Price is a little higher than high street strings, but my experience is that they last longer. You can also get custom gauge mixes at no extra cost. Given the number of fake strings in circulation, it’s good to know that won’t be a problem with Newtones.
    Crikey - looks good but I'd have no idea where to start when it comes to building sets. I don't even know what I'm playing now (beyond '10s')
  • LestratcasterLestratcaster Frets: 1087
    I did start with EBs when I was first doing a lot of gigging but I found that they broke very easily (especially at the bridge) and so never felt confident using them. I've very rarely broken a D'Addario though
    Alot of the time the break is linked to where it is on the guitar, e.g if its constantly breaking in the same area like the saddle end then there's probably a rough edge somewhere. So in your case if its at the bridge end, then look at that part to see if there's burrs or anything. I had this problem on my Les Paul for years. Checking the saddles solved it.

Apparently the Paradigm's are less prone to breakage but I've yet to try a set.
  • Paul_CPaul_C Frets: 7788
    edited April 17

I generally use Legacy strings from Strings Direct. 

With the electric sets you get spare top E and B strings (which means I have dozens of spares as I use them for work too, unless something else is specified).

I've not had any issues with them, nor any complaints, and they're cheap too.
    "I'll probably be in the bins at Newport Pagnell services."  fretmeister
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11452
    Roland said:
    Crikey - looks good but I'd have no idea where to start when it comes to building sets. I don't even know what I'm playing now (beyond '10s')
    Newtone will do sets in standard gauges.  The round core ones are lower tension than the equivalent strings from the likes of D'Addario.  I use their 11s on my Gretsch Falcon.  It seems to need the extra mass of the 11s, but the D'Addario 11s end up tight on the 25.5" scale, and it's not very easy on the fingers.

D'Addario are still good, but just get the normal ones that have been available for decades (I think it's XL for electrics).  I tried the expensive new ones and I didn't like them at all.

D'Addario do have a loyalty scheme where you can get some freebies.  These tuners are quite handy:

I think it's around 20 sets of strings to get one.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72390
    Roland said:
    This, but bear in mind that they're difficult to fit to guitars with vintage-Fender-style split-post tuners since the strings must not be cut to length before tensioning.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Strat54Strat54 Frets: 2383
    ICBM said:
    Roland said:
    This, but bear in mind that they're difficult to fit to guitars with vintage-Fender-style split-post tuners since the strings must not be cut to length before tensioning.
    Why's that? I have Tenorio round cores and those are cut before tensioning with no problems.
  • gpw5150gpw5150 Frets: 18
    Ernie Ball and D’addario 11’s for years and very strong fingers/shredded hands!

are their new brands out there and do they really bring anything innovative?
  • Elixir Optiweb 9-42 on my 25.5" length guitars. Pricey, but they feel good and last for bloody ages!

I've recently moved to using 9.5-44s on my Gibson scale guitars, which you can't get in Optiwebs. Just got a set of D'Addario XS 9.5s to try and I'm impressed so far.
    edited April 18
    I've ordered some D'Addario Half-Wounds in 10 for the tele and some NYXLs in 9.5 for the Strat. A bit boring I know after the discussion but I had a £40 amazon voucher  

Thanks all!
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72390
    Strat54 said:

Why's that? I have Tenorio round cores and those are cut before tensioning with no problems.
    Newtone specifically warn against it. I don’t know whether their construction is different, but I haven’t been tempted to waste a new string by finding out…

You can get away with it if you kink the string sharply with pliers before you cut, but it’s a bit more of a faff.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• daisie_guitardaisie_guitar Frets: 125

I've recently moved to using 9.5-44s on my Gibson scale guitars, which you can't get in Optiwebs. Just got a set of D'Addario XS 9.5s to try and I'm impressed so far.
    Don't the Optiweb 9-42s feel like the average uncoated 9.5-44s to you tension-wise?

• I've recently moved to using 9.5-44s on my Gibson scale guitars, which you can't get in Optiwebs. Just got a set of D'Addario XS 9.5s to try and I'm impressed so far.
    Don't the Optiweb 9-42s feel like the average uncoated 9.5-44s to you tension-wise?
    You mean to say that Optiwebs feel 'stiffer' than an equivalent gauge uncoated string?
  • bobblehatbobblehat Frets: 541
    I used D'Addario for the last 15 years but recently changed to Nanowebs. I went for 10's on my LP but will be switching to 9's when I've used up the packs I've got as the tension is notably higher. Really like them though and IMHO worth the extra cost.
  • 1Strat2many1Strat2many Frets: 54
    I really like Curt Mangan 9.5-44 and 10 to 46 on my gigging electrics. To me, they sound and feel great and, in my experience, last pretty well. I also like the the D’Addario NYXLs. For Flatwounds I use Thomastik 11’s. Acoustics are a variety of Brands.
  • daisie_guitardaisie_guitar Frets: 125

You mean to say that Optiwebs feel 'stiffer' than an equivalent gauge uncoated string?
    Yes, the consensus seems to be that they feel about half a gauge stiffer than uncoated strings.