250k pots with bright humbuckers

What's Hot
OK I've got this Les Paul..It is far too Bright..I've had a Seymour Duncan Custom Custom in the Bridge and it is bright..
With a Bare Knuckle Mule in there ouch..So a 47 uf cap in there instead of a 22..At 2 out of 10 on the tone control it is usable with the Mule,,of course there is a perceived volume drop..I could re alter my pickup heights with the tone control on 2...Or try a 4th pickup in there...
I've already had a Burstbucker Pro..Custom Custom and JB..The JB sounded like a very bright JB at least..The other 2 were not very versatile because of brightness..Also mid scooping seemed to be going on,no body to the sound..The Custom Custom is supposed to be mild..It works good in a Semi Solid..

So there are 3 possible solutions..

1 The 250 K Pot for a Tone Control..I don't know how effective this is..

2. Get a pickup wound to tame the top end.

3. From looking at tone charts,reading other peoples experiences and having one a long tome ago..
Put a Dimarzio Super Distortion in the Bridge position..I last had one about 8 years ago in a little Westbury Guitar..
I thought it sounded good..I know it is ceramic and some folk turn their nose up at that..

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• LionAquaLooperLionAquaLooper Frets: 1128
    Try option 1 first.
    Doesn't work? Only then do you buy new pickups. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • KevSKevS Frets: 492
    Try option 1 first.
    Doesn't work? Only then do you buy new pickups. 
    OK..Thanks..
    I forgot to ask..Do I put the 250 K on the volume or tone in a modern wired les paul/as opposed to a 50's wired one..
  • Power_FreakPower_Freak Frets: 199
    You can clip a resistor in parallel with the existing 500k pot to simulate a 250k - saves you replacing the pot entirely. You can do this with both volume and tone pot. The taper will get a little messed up but will give you an idea if it moves you towards where you want to go
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    You can clip a resistor in parallel with the existing 500k pot to simulate a 250k - saves you replacing the pot entirely. You can do this with both volume and tone pot. The taper will get a little messed up but will give you an idea if it moves you towards where you want to go
    OK..I can only find a treble bleed diagram..I don't know how to do the parallel thing..
    Also what value to use..
  • Power_FreakPower_Freak Frets: 199
    KevS said:
    OK..I can only find a treble bleed diagram..I don't know how to do the parallel thing..
    Also what value to use..
    https://www.fralinpickups.com/2018/10/17/using-resistors-in-guitars-101/
    KevS said:
    Also what value to use..
    https://www.fralinpickups.com/2018/10/17/using-resistors-in-guitars-101/
    Thank You.