Small Valve Amp for pennies , opinions

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• DeadmanDeadman Frets: 3917
    Interesting, and one that’s been on the list pretty much forever. My nephew loves his X2. If I could find one (or an XD) local I’d most likely buy it. They go for £200 +- £40 I think. They certainly have the looks too.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • wrinkleygitwrinkleygit Frets: 260
    edited April 27
    Deadman said:
    Interesting, and one that’s been on the list pretty much forever. My nephew loves his X2. If I could find one (or an XD) local I’d most likely buy it. They go for £200 +- £40 I think. They certainly have the looks too.
    Check out facebook marketplace 
    oopps link didn’t copy, some on there for just over £100 mark
  • DeadmanDeadman Frets: 3917
    edited April 27
    Thanks @wrinkleygit (love the username btw  ) I’ve been playing Them crooked vultures stuff quite badly this afternoon so not so sure now. At this rate I’ll end up getting a new Katana  s

Apologies for hijacking your thread OP.
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 10570
    tFB Trader
    spev11 said:
    impmann said:
    I don't think anyone has mentioned it but the Blackstar Studio 10s are nice - I actually have a boxed, as new Artisan 10AE complete with a cover that I will be looking to sell for less than half your budget. The cleans are tasty and it'll do the vintage Brit amp crunch too...
    thats tempting but most of my angst with amps is the bloody knobs on the top. I've sold great amps because it annoyed me sooooooo much
    Knobs on the top bugs me too ... and I thought it was just me! 
    I adore my Peavey Classic 30 for it's sound which is all I could want ... but craning my neck to try and see the settings when said Peavey is on a chair - which is, let's face it, how most small amps are used - is bloody annoying.  
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12668
    spev11 said:
    impmann said:
    I don't think anyone has mentioned it but the Blackstar Studio 10s are nice - I actually have a boxed, as new Artisan 10AE complete with a cover that I will be looking to sell for less than half your budget. The cleans are tasty and it'll do the vintage Brit amp crunch too...
    thats tempting but most of my angst with amps is the bloody knobs on the top. I've sold great amps because it annoyed me sooooooo much
    Knobs on the top bugs me too ... and I thought it was just me! 
    I adore my Peavey Classic 30 for it's sound which is all I could want ... but craning my neck to try and see the settings when said Peavey is on a chair - which is, let's face it, how most small amps are used - is bloody annoying.  
    I totally agree - it’s a throwback to when amps were front of stage rather than behind the player. 

I keep being told that “the market” wants top loaders and “all the research” shows it’s the most popular… but I’m not keen, at all.
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • spev11spev11 Frets: 333
    Knobs on top should be a jailable offence  =)
    Purely because of my hatred of knob on top fenders I've ordered a Princeton Reverb kit from Modulus because 
    1. The original had the knobs in the right place
    2. I can build it into a head with the knobs in the right place (Boss I'm looking at you here mostly)
    3. I'm going to buy a cheap Solid State Princeton for fun and stereo setup without banruptcy
    4. I've wanted a Princeton Reverb since I restarted playing seriously (in that I took the learning seriously, its still for fun)
    5. COS THE KNOBS SHOULDN'T BE ON THE TOP

that pretty much covers it, lets hope I can build it so it bloody works next
  • gpw5150gpw5150 Frets: 23
    spev11 said:
    Knobs on top should be a jailable offence  =)
    Purely because of my hatred of knob on top fenders I've ordered a Princeton Reverb kit from Modulus because 
    1. The original had the knobs in the right place
    2. I can build it into a head with the knobs in the right place (Boss I'm looking at you here mostly)
    3. I'm going to buy a cheap Solid State Princeton for fun and stereo setup without banruptcy
    4. I've wanted a Princeton Reverb since I restarted playing seriously (in that I took the learning seriously, its still for fun)
    5. COS THE KNOBS SHOULDN'T BE ON THE TOP

that pretty much covers it, lets hope I can build it so it bloody works next
    Must admit that I like the 'knob on top' amps;  The look of a narrow panel tweed or the big Supro Thunderbolt is very cool on stage, looking straight on at it.  Kinda has purpose without any 'fluff'.