KVM switch with USB 3.0

M1ckM1ck Frets: 231
Can anyone give me some advice on choosing a KVM displayport switch with usb?
I would like to be able to use two pcs with one monitor, well a laptop and pc with dual monitors. 
Not sure if I can explain this very well but here goes.
My plan is to use one of my pc monitors with my work laptop when I’m working from home, I have a single monitor I can use with the laptop but with three monitors a laptop and other bits and pieces my desk is becoming cluttered and uncomfortable not to mention the monitor isn’t as sharp or as large as the one I’d like to use.
It seems a kvm switch with usb is/might be the answer but prices vary hugely and I don’t know what to avoid and what is decent, or what to look for.
So, It looks like I need a 2 port kvm displayport switch with usb. 
Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Please shout out if I haven’t explained something very well.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• SnagsSnags Frets: 5382
    In terms of  brands, Startech are reliable and solid, if they do one in your configuration. Ignore the pricing on their website, they can be had for much less. 

If you want to go posh, AdderView use to be lovely, but reassuringly expensive. 
    Oh, and why the need for USB 3? To share peripherals?
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28377
    Indeed - you don't generally get USB3.0 on a KVM. And dual head tends to be a bit spender, as foes DisplayPort (harder to route than HDMI, and fewer good chipsets off the shelf). You should be able to find Lindy below list price. 

https://www.lindy.co.uk/kvm-c6/2-port-dual-head-displayport-1-2-kvm-switch-p13357

Or if that's a bit cheap:

https://www.belkin.com/uk/universal-2nd-gen-secure-kvm-switch-2-port-dual-head-wcac/P-F1DN202KVM-UN-4.html
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • droflufdrofluf Frets: 3706
    How are you connecting to the monitors? HDMI, VGA or USB-C?

Do you want the KVM to switch between 2 monitors or just one? The second option is cheaper :)

I have 2 set ups at home depending which room I'm working in

2 monitors on desk, laptop and desktop 

Setting 1 Desktop to screens 1 & 2; laptop  on it's own display, not connected mouse/keyboard

Setting 2 Desktop to screen 1 not connected mouse/keyboard; laptop to screen 2 and its own display

1 monitor on desk, laptop and desktop 

Setting 1 Desktop to screen 1 ; laptop  on it's own display, not connected mouse/keyboard

Setting 2 Desktop  not connected screenmouse/keyboard; laptop to screen 1 and its own display

Do either match what you're looking for?
  • thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9758
    edited April 19
    I bought a fairly cheap one from Amazon by a brand called Steetek (I can't provide a link because the one showing when i click on my order is not the same one I've got). and i absolutely would not recommend it.

The USB element of it doesn't work - but it doesn't seem to "not work" the same way twice in a row. Sometimes it would work but the mouse or keyboard would intermittently cut out and back in again, another time it wouldn't work ynless i changed the usb port I was using on the desktop pc, which was a faff, then other times it just wouldnt work at all.

Their customer service email conversation went along the lines of "do you have the manual?" "Yes" "Would you like us to repeat the contents of the manual to you over email?".

Definitely avoid that brand

FWIW my application of it is to switch between Work From Home laptop and my personal desktop, one monitor, but using the laptop screen as a second monitor when using the work from home (and often using that laptop screen to see if i'm getting any emails whilee i'm playing about on my personal desktop). As it stands I have to unplug the usb hub from my laptop, turn around the usb plug (why don't they all go in the same way?) and reach behind a shelf to plug it into my desktop. And back again when I need to go back on work laptop. Annoying
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
  • M1ckM1ck Frets: 231
    @Snags ;
    cheers I’ve seen a lot of star tech gear but was unsure about how reliable it is, you seem to have answered that for me.

no particular reason for usb 3.0 other than I have a spare usb 3.0 on my desktop - I thought I could use the ‘spare’ ports on the switch as a hub - maybe that’s not such a good idea!

@sporky
    lindy have been my go to for decent reliable cables etc for some time now, certainly not the cheapest but I can’t fault them.

@drofluf
    I'm connecting display port. Your first setup closely matches what I’m after. 
    I have a desktop two monitors, keyboard, mouse and space mouse permanently connected. I’d like to run one of those monitors, keyboard and mouse through the kvm switch so when I’m working from home my company laptop can use one of my monitors, my keyboard and mouse so I don’t have to mess around with cables. I’m currently using a spare monitor but it really clutters my workspace and actually takes up quite a bit of space as I have to have it in front of my desktop monitors.

@thecolourbox
    thecolourbox said:
    As it stands I have to unplug the usb hub from my laptop, turn around the usb plug (why don't they all go in the same way?) and reach behind a shelf to plug it into my desktop. And back again when I need to go back on work laptop. Annoying
    That’s what I’m trying to avoid, a switch should solve all that and give me some space back on my desk.
  • thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9758
    Yes indeed that's what I was hoping to avoid too, but sadly the one I bought doesn't do it. Bastard thing
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
    Startech stuff is generally decent - I have one of these switching a load of stuff between work laptop and home PC:

https://www.startech.com/en-gb/usb-hubs/hbs304a24a

I think it'd be handy to know exactly how you're connecting everything at the mo. Maybe a little drawing. 
    Yup Startech is mostly good, I've used a lot over the years. Sits between the cheap tat and the real posh stuff.

If you can't find what you want for a sensible price retail let me know, as the trade prices are usually a massively lower than list for them (but very few people sell at list, so ...).
  • droflufdrofluf Frets: 3706
    I use one of these in my setup.  The video output is actually HDMI but takes USB-C from computer 
  • wolsnahwolsnah Frets: 190
    I bought one of these https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/176323636741 during the main covid days and am still using it. It's tucked away under my desk with just the wired remote switch on my desk that allows me to switch between home and work machines.

Took me a good while to find a budget priced DP one, they're certainly thin on the ground compared to HDMI. I was dubious about the misspelling of Control on the remote port, yes it is actually the same on the device, but has worked flawlessly for me for the past three(ish) years.
    Is that using USB-C Alt mode, or Displaylink?