Back to Black, Amy Winehouse Movie

What's Hot
Saw this yesterday was blown away. I dont know how accurate it was but Marisa Abela as Amy was amazing. I think Blake and her dad got off lightly but the film reinforces what a great talent she was. 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9794
    I'm looking forward to seeing this, definitely. I missed the Bob Marley one but in truth I think I'm more interested in this one as I wasn't even alive when Marley died, but Amy Winehouse was very much part of the culture in my teenage and early 20s years and still sounds incredible now.
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9684
    Saw it this afternoon. Really very good indeed. Definitely not a feelgood movie but well worth a watch.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
  • RocknRollDaveRocknRollDave Frets: 6501
    Interesting to read how much you guys liked it; the reviews haven’t been kind.

• TheBigDipperTheBigDipper Frets: 4796
    I saw it on Thursday night. It's good, and I enjoyed being taken back to the Camden Town and Primrose Hill of that era for a couple of hours. 

It tells a different story to the one the media gave us at the time. And a different story to the "Finding Amy" doc.

The performances were good - especially the lead. I doubt any of these films are telling the complete truth, so you just have to run with what you get put in front of you, I think. It's a good story of a destructive personality finding a partner that couldn't stop her as she wasted her potential (in one way) whilst unlocking it (in another). 

I'd forgotten she was another "dead at 27" musician. 
  • Interesting to read how much you guys liked it; the reviews haven’t been kind.
    To be honest I'm a little surprised at the positive comments. I'll cut & paste my comment from the Film thread the other day:

Back to Black

Disappointing. Very superficial look at her tragic life and downfall, added absolutely nothing interesting to what anyone already knows about her life. The few marks I'd give it are for the lead actress who was fabulously convincing. By contrast, the fella who plays Blake Fielder-Civil is dreadful.

4/10

Basically, it your interested in her music and her life you'd be far better served just watching the heartbreaking Asif Kapadia documentary from a few years back. 
  • midlifecrisismidlifecrisis Frets: 2343
    I can understand why the critics isn't like it but I really enjoyed it. I know it wasn't totally accurate ie there's no way she didn't know who the Shangri las were, her musical knowledge was very extensive, but other than that I feel it showed her personality. A big thumbs up from me.
  • TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 10246
    I'm a big Amy fan so I will see it, but the reviews aren't great and I think that from the trailer it does look a bit hammed up and contrived. The actress looks way too clean, but I'll still see it and go in without judgement. 

To be honest, I don't know why this movie was needed when we had the excellent Asif Kapadia documentary just a few years ago. Anything for a cash grab from the usual suspects I guess. 
  • sev112sev112 Frets: 2769
    As per the film thread, I saw it with Mrs sev112 on Friday afternoon in an Everyman cinema with absolutely no-one else there. I loved that and I really enjoyed the film, although I had a prob with her and her dad’s accents which I didn’t think were robust

having known almost nothing about her, apart from “the Fielder bloke is a wrong in getting her to do all sorts of bad stuff” mainly from headlines of tabloids, I thought it was very good, well filmed, well acted, good photography , although some of the props looked a bit “modern”.  But very very good.  I even thought the Fielder bloke played it very well, his strengths (being a likeable guy to many and her) and obvious weaknesses,

mrs sev112 however was non-plussed.  But maybe she knew much more about it all at the time and felt it didn’t tell her story either at all or well.

• lustycourtierlustycourtier Frets: 3337
    Interesting to read how much you guys liked it; the reviews haven’t been kind.
    To be honest I'm a little surprised at the positive comments. I'll cut & paste my comment from the Film thread the other day:

Back to Black

Disappointing. Very superficial look at her tragic life and downfall, added absolutely nothing interesting to what anyone already knows about her life. The few marks I'd give it are for the lead actress who was fabulously convincing. By contrast, the fella who plays Blake Fielder-Civil is dreadful.

4/10

Basically, it your interested in her music and her life you'd be far better served just watching the heartbreaking Asif Kapadia documentary from a few years back. 

i went into it last night after reading this review, yet thought the actor playing Blake was brilliant. 

The cinematography was perfect, like a classic kitchen sink drama of the 50s. Aside the leaps in the time line, I thought it was bloody brilliant.