NAD (Sooner Than Expected)

What's Hot
BellycasterBellycaster Frets: 5861
So, I never did buy an amp from Ebay, instead I picked up this Strymon Iridium Marshall DSL20CR. I checked Richtone site earlier and saw they had one in for £279. I couldn't resist going straight after work to try it. The one on Ebay was £325 and a 25 mile round trip that would have used up nearly 3 hours of tomorrow.

I was pleasantly surprised. They described it as "Good" condition and functioning properly. It does function properly, but they were very conservative in their description "Good". Seriously, this thing could pass as new or at least "Excellent".

I gave it a proper examination, it's a super quiet amp, meaning no unwanted hiss and white noise from the knobs when turned up or from the Reverb. The Reverb is enough for me, I only use a bit as "always on". I don't require Deluxe Reverb levels of Lush.

It is not a quiet amp in any other way, though. This will definitely be OK for our gigs, we tend to mic up anyway. I can get a sound that's clean enough on the first channel and I'll use the 2nd channel for the hard rock types tones I need (think Bartender and the Thief, Cigs and Alcohol etc). I'll get a mid crunch from the Bunker and a nice cleanish boost from the Bogner Blue set low gain.

The EQ'ing on this amp is great, very noticeable sweep from 0-10 on all EQ Knobs. Heard reviews that it's hard to dial the brightness out of these but it doesn't appear to be the case. That said it is super bright with treble and presence on 10, but it's easily tamed. Added bonus is the speaker may have been broken in a little. Didn't sound too boxy, it is a small amp but when miced up at a gig it'll kick some ass.

FX Loop works fine, the amp didn't come with a footswitch (uh-oh), but I'll buy one from t'internet. It needs a dust cover too, but for £279, I can't complain. I just hope it's a good un that defies the trend of experiences that doesn't end up on a bench any time soon.

https://i.imgur.com/1HX7eod.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/eMzdtLx.jpg

:)
Only a Fool Would Say That.
0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• thermionicthermionic Frets: 9653
    Great amps. I recently picked up its predecessor, a DSL15, for  my partner’s son. As you’ve noticed it has a very useable eq section. My only criticism is that it has a clean channel and a very dirty channel and struggles somewhat with the in-between sounds. The 40W versions are better in this regard with 4 gain options, and the old DSL201 I had suffered from the same limitation. But nothing does a classic Marshall sound better than a Marshall valve amp. I’m tempted to look for a DSL5 myself now…
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BellycasterBellycaster Frets: 5861
    Great amps. I recently picked up its predecessor, a DSL15, for  my partner’s son. As you’ve noticed it has a very useable eq section. My only criticism is that it has a clean channel and a very dirty channel and struggles somewhat with the in-between sounds. The 40W versions are better in this regard with 4 gain options, and the old DSL201 I had suffered from the same limitation. But nothing does a classic Marshall sound better than a Marshall valve amp. I’m tempted to look for a DSL5 myself now…
    Very true, it would be fantastic to have a dedicated clean channel and then the same 2 channels it already has. I can make it work though. I have versatile Pedals that can do the in-between sounds and set ch1 clean-ish.

I think if I wasn't in a band, I might have seriously considered the 5 watt version. The 40watt would be too much for me, at home and don't really think it's warranted for the gigs we do. I've still got my old Valvestate 8240 2x12 down at the practice room and I think that sounds very decent even after it's decade plus hibernation in a cupboard.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • YorkieYorkie Frets: 1508
    Great to hear that, have fun with it :-)
    Adopted northerner with Asperger syndrome. I sometimes struggle with empathy and sarcasm – please bear with me.   
    My trading feedback: https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/210335/yorkie

• ditchboyditchboy Frets: 300
    edited April 20
    I’ve been looking at a DSL1CR for the living room. I need something small and have never had a Marshall other than a Code which in my head doesn’t count. 
  • BellycasterBellycaster Frets: 5861
    ditchboy said:
    I’ve been looking at a DSL1CR for the living room. I need something small and have never had a Marshall other than a Code which in my head doesn’t count. 
    That's probably all I'd need in power terms if I wasn't gigging. I'm sure they sound great.
  • ditchboyditchboy Frets: 300
    ditchboy said:
    That's probably all I'd need in power terms if I wasn't gigging. I'm sure they sound great.
    And cheap! I’m going to keep my eyes open for a second hand bargain. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom