Breaking down a schematic - Boss PW-2

What's Hot
liamonliamon Frets: 103
Wondering if someone wants to have a crack at translating this schematic and decrypting what the knobs do. 

Annoyingly labeled “fat” and “muscle”, and the manual offers no help either. 

By my ears they are just a bass + treble function but wondering if there is more going on, or if my ears are wrong. 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• liamonliamon Frets: 103
    Also it’s often been compared to big muff. See a couple of diodes in there but the circuit seems way more complicated than a big muff and doesn’t seem to have the same double set of clipping diodes as you get in a muff. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 9660
    At first glance I would wager that it has a lot in common with the BD-2 and OD-3, i.e., an opamp circuit built with discrete components.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72490
    edited April 20
    It's not really like a Big Muff at all, although it may be capable of some similar sounds. If anything a fair bit of it looks more similar to the FZ-2, although without the second transistor pair which causes the more obviously 'octavey' sound in that. It doesn't use clipping diodes at all, it's done by overdriving the transistors. The 'Fat' and 'Muscle' appear to be bass/lower-mid (around 120Hz) and mid (around 1KHz) tuned filters.

https://guitarpedalsvisualized.wordpress.com/2023/08/27/boss-pw-2/#:~:text=out around 1000Hz.-,It is a moderately wide Q (EQ%20cut%20width).,more%20like%20a%20Big%20Muff.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein