N(O)PD - TC Sustain + Parametric EQ

What's Hot
Power_FreakPower_Freak Frets: 198

Saw this guy on ebay for a (very) good price - it just arrived, working perfectly.

Absolute classic pedal, nothing made since does the thing it does. Only played for 20mins or so - but already obsessed.

Time to rearrange the entire pedalboard again... Not my favourite task ever
0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Nice, congrats. I’d love to try one. When you say “nothing made since does the same thing”, can you give further detail?
    Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Power_FreakPower_Freak Frets: 198
    Nice, congrats. I’d love to try one. When you say “nothing made since does the same thing”, can you give further detail?
    It's kind of hard to describe until you here it. Basically it's a compressor with a very very high threshold with a parametric EQ added that lets you boost back some of the perceived loss of high end. It kind of slows down the attack and really pancakes your sound so every note hits at once, I guess they were trying to get something like a sustain pedal on a piano. It does a breathy synthy compression that (of all the comps I've tried) nothing can copy.

It appears all over the early ECM Bill Frisell records, if you're familiar with those you'll know the sound
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • AntonHunterAntonHunter Frets: 921
    Power_Freak said:

It appears all over the early ECM Bill Frisell records, if you're familiar with those you'll know the sound
    Oh man, now I want one!
    Power_Freak said:

Oh man, now I want one!
    Word of warning:

- They're expensive
    - Fragile
    - Can't be repaired most of the time
    - Very difficult to dial in
    - Big volume drop
    - Finnicky power requirement
    - Requires you to completely change your playing style to fit the pedal
    - After playing one you might not want to go back

I'd kill for somebody to remake these properly with the original circuit, in a bullet proof modern enclosure, pedalboard friendly size, etc. The TC reissued ones they did (think they were called "classic series") doesn't do anything like these ones. It's the opposite of a "neutral always on compressor" that people want now, but it's a shame you can't easily get this sound without one.

Playing around with the settings a bit more I managed to get a Holdsworth style lead tone out of it too, I don't think he used one of these (an Allan expert might correct me) but it definitely gets you there.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • guitarmanglerguitarmangler Frets: 585
    Power_Freak said:

Oh man, now I want one!
    Word of warning:

- They're expensive
    - Fragile
    - Big volume drop

I'd kill for somebody to remake these properly with the original circuit, in a bullet proof modern enclosure, pedalboard friendly size, etc. The TC reissued ones they did (think they were called "classic series") doesn't do anything like these ones. It's the opposite of a "neutral always on compressor" that people want now, but it's a shame you can't easily get this sound without one.

Playing around with the settings a bit more I managed to get a Holdsworth style lead tone out of it too, I don't think he used one of these (an Allan expert might correct me) but it definitely gets you there.
    Holdsworth swore by them and used them for out pretty much exclusively. The holdsworth signature boost by rocket pedals is, pretty much, a tc pedal copy. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Power_Freak said:

Oh man, now I want one!
    Word of warning:

- They're expensive
    - Fragile
    - Big volume drop

Holdsworth swore by them and used them for out pretty much exclusively. The holdsworth signature boost by rocket pedals is, pretty much, a tc pedal copy. 
    That's the tc line driver is it not? Don't think the J Rockett shares any DNA with this pedal
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14465
    The TC reissued ones they did (think they were called "classic series") doesn't do anything like these ones.
    The Classic Series re-issued model lacks the distortion and bandwidth switches.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • guitarmanglerguitarmangler Frets: 585
    Power_Freak said:

Oh man, now I want one!
    Word of warning:

- They're expensive
    - Fragile
    - Big volume drop

That's the tc line driver is it not? Don't think the J Rockett shares any DNA with this pedal
    Ah. Yes. You’re completely correct! My sleep deprived brain saw that as a booster line driver, which is the holdsworth one. That’s the one he used, not the sustain +. Whoops! Sorry! 
    Power_Freak said:

Oh man, now I want one!
    Word of warning:

- They're expensive
    - Fragile
    - Big volume drop

Ah. Yes. You’re completely correct! My sleep deprived brain saw that as a booster line driver, which is the holdsworth one. That’s the one he used, not the sustain +. Whoops! Sorry! 
    Glad I'm not going mad... Would kick myself if there were an obvious clone on the market!

The TC reissued ones they did (think they were called "classic series") doesn't do anything like these ones.
    The Classic Series re-issued model lacks the distortion and bandwidth switches.
    As I understand the classic re-issue circuit is quite different from the original. Users of the original didn't take to them because they do a different thing, instead buying "back ups" of the original units which causes some of the scarcity and price of these units.