I shall not go gentle into that good night! Learning to shred as a middle-aged man

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22970
    Offset said:
    I bought a shreddy-type guitar a bit over a year ago with the intention of trying to learn some new techniques.  I have, of course, done zip about it.  When I retire in a couple of years I will address that however and become the Cotswolds' answer to, errrm, Steven Seagal...
    Laudable ambition, but don't over-reach.  Baby steps, baby steps...
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GreatapeGreatape Frets: 3581
    Depends what you define as technique. Guitarists tend to mean 'speed' but really, it's every aspect of how you play. 

When practicing, I'm constantly thinking about the minutae of what my right hand is doing, my left hand, note volume, timing, note choice, tone production , groove (or lack thereof ), note length, staccato/legato etc.The things I never focus on are speed and running up and down scales, funnily enough. Although there are obviously types of music where you need to do a bit of that to remain match fit. I won't be subbing for Alex Skolnick in Testament any time soon, obvs.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Serious question, since we're talking about learning in middle-age, has anyone found themselves hampered by issues like arthritis or loss of hand strength?  Or maybe just general aches and pains making it harder to sit/stand and play for hours at a time?
  • GreatapeGreatape Frets: 3581
    Philly_Q said:
    Serious question, since we're talking about learning in middle-age, has anyone found themselves hampered by issues like arthritis or loss of hand strength?  Or maybe just general aches and pains making it harder to sit/stand and play for hours at a time?
    Long COVID has given me persistent joint pain in hands over last year. It has certainly put some things under the microscope, notably being careful not apply unnecessary levels of pressure on notes. 

I don't practice for really long periods anymore, but not just for that reason. I tend to do sessions of 30-60 mins. 
  • LewyLewy Frets: 4227
    edited April 21
    Philly_Q said:
    Arthritis is what set me off on this path in the first place. It's put paid to my gigging days (except for the odd 40 minute festival slot) and thus removed the constraint of just thinking about learning things I was going to gig. 

What we think of as shred guitars and shred setups are very arthritis-friendly, to the point where as long as you can still waggle your fingers, you can do it. Also, one thing I've found quite critical is to always practice plugged in, never noodling unplugged - you just can't help playing too hard if you have to make an unplugged electric audible enough to hear what you're doing.

I definitely have to pay more attention to posture these days. If sitting down I hold the guitar in the classical position with a footstool rather than the cowboy position on the picking hand leg.
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 10520
    tFB Trader
    Lewy said:
    Philly_Q said:
    Arthritis is what set me off on this path in the first place. It's put paid to my gigging days (except for the odd 40 minute festival slot) and thus removed the constraint of just thinking about learning things I was going to gig. 

What we think of as shred guitars and shred setups are very arthritis-friendly, to the point where as long as you can still waggle your fingers, you can do it. Also, one thing I've found quite critical is to always practice plugged in, never noodling unplugged - you just can't help playing too hard if you have to make an unplugged electric audible enough to hear what you're doing.

I definitely have to pay more attention to posture these days. If sitting down I hold the guitar in the classical position with a footstool rather than the cowboy position on the picking hand leg.
    I suffer absolutely agonising cramp that pulls my hands completely out of shape - not while I'm playing strangely ... but usually in the workshop while I'm doing fine work. I have to stop and flatten out my hands against something. Very odd ... but I think playing actually helps by loosening my hands up.  
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

• imalrightjackimalrightjack Frets: 3760
    Lewy said:

elstoof said:
    Philly_Q said:
    Oh, good for you.  I would love to be able to shred.  And in particular I would love to be able to sweep pick.  But I've made no effort to learn and I've no idea where to start.
    Ben Eller on YouTube does videos that break down all the shreddy stuff into easily consumed bite sized chunks
    I find much of his content easy to pass but when he has a good exercise it's usually a great one.  I chuck him some cash on Patreon but only occasionally look.

I also now use a footstool and play that way.  It now feels foreign to not.  I've recently, maybe through choice of guitars and what I am learning, found myself playing with more of a classical wrist position.  I get odd aches and pains, the middle finger on my right hand currently (not that it affects playing).  I've also just had a rash all over my calves and arms which looks a bit like an arthritic rash, although hopeful it's allergy-related.

Much more to reply to on this but haven't the time but great to see others in the same boat as me.  I must return to updating my ADHD thread on buying and selling guitars.  It's better than it was but, due to inability to sell easily, has led to some trading - but then I gave in and bought some anyway.
    Trading feedback info here

My band, Red For Dissent
    Lewy said:

This is something I've been thinking about recently.  I almost never play with amplification, I don't really "practice" at all, but when I pick up a guitar it's always unplugged.  I'm conscious that I probably play too hard - with both hands - and I'm learning nothing.  In fact I've been going backwards for some time.

I don't (touch wood) have arthritis or any particular hand problems, although maybe my hands are a bit weaker and my fingers less nimble than they were.  But it's not debilitating, so I guess I'm lucky in that respect.

When I'm retired I will definitely have more time to play guitar.  Whether or not I'll actually do that is another question!!  But if I do, I want to use the time constructively and learn/practice "properly".  Honestly I feel like I need to start again from scratch.
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 11824
    Philly_Q said:
    Serious question, since we're talking about learning in middle-age, has anyone found themselves hampered by issues like arthritis or loss of hand strength?
    Yes, unfortunately.  I'm not too sure exactly what it is and I keep meaning to find a spare five hours during my working week to sit in an automated call queue to get an appointment to see my doctor.  I assume he's still my doctor as I haven't managed to see him since before Covid.

I'd cross my fingers but that's a bit sore...
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 10520
    tFB Trader
    Offset said:
    Philly_Q said:
    Serious question, since we're talking about learning in middle-age, has anyone found themselves hampered by issues like arthritis or loss of hand strength?
    Yes, unfortunately.  I'm not too sure exactly what it is and I keep meaning to find a spare five hours during my working week to sit in an automated call queue to get an appointment to see my doctor.  I assume he's still my doctor as I haven't managed to see him since before Covid.

Ah we clearly share the same doctor :-)
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

Offset said:
    Philly_Q said:

Ah we clearly share the same doctor :-)
    I think we all share the same doctor.  Who can't see anybody because - according to the PM - he has to spend all day writing sick notes for shirkers.  Sorry, off-topic...
  • timmypixtimmypix Frets: 2402
    Not quite middle age, but at 32 only really starting to get the hang of the practice techniques I wish I'd got down in my teens. Gigged all through my 20s, and hope to get back out there soon, but lockdown kind of stopped my last band and it took me a couple of years to work out how to motivate myself and find something to learn without a band structure to do it in. I also tended to let someone else handle the flashy leads and sit back playing rhythm, so I never pushed my lead playing.

But now I'm getting better at learning things by ear, sitting with a metronome, paying attention to my technique, and while I might not be as inspired as I was 10 years ago without a current band, I'm certainly technically better. 
    Tim