New Macbook Pro Day coming soon...

FINALLY I pulled the trigger on a new (to me) computer. 

A quick browse through my discussions on here and you'll notice I've been procrastinating over this decision for some time. 

I had my eye on the 2021 MBP M1 Pro, 16gB, 1TB SSD 16 INCH four about the last year or so. 

Yesterday I pulled the trigger...

It arrives Monday/ Tuesday 22/23 April so I'll update this thread when I've had some time to give my opinions. 

I find the world of computers really confusing, and there is always a labyrinth of conflicting opinions etc about various machines, how much RAM is adequate, which chip is best for various types of work etc etc etc. 

Well, the one I've gone for seems to be a great decision for my purposes - predominantly music production in logic pro.

I'll keep you guys and girls posted...

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• jasonbone75jasonbone75 Frets: 642
    I have one all intents identical (only 512GB drive but then I've never filled a hard drive in 40 years of using them). It has been flawless. Hasn't skipped a beat. One of my best computing purchases ever.
  • I have one all intents identical (only 512GB drive but then I've never filled a hard drive in 40 years of using them). It has been flawless. Hasn't skipped a beat. One of my best computing purchases ever.
    Sounds promising - thank you. Really don't want buyers' remorse! 
  • guyinlyonguyinlyon Frets: 317
    edited April 21
    I had my eye on the 2021 MBP M1 Pro, 16gB, 1TB SSD 16 INCH four about the last year or so. 

Yesterday I pulled the trigger...

I find the world of computers really confusing, and there is always a labyrinth of conflicting opinions etc about various machines, how much RAM is adequate, which chip is best for various types of work etc etc etc.
    Enjoy, and take your time getting used to it (unless you've had Macs for years).

Advance in steps.

If you want to do some recording, start with Garageband (included), it may be all you need, but if, after a while, you want something start of the art, you can move up to Logic Pro.

If you want to edit video, start with iMovie (also included), as with Garageband you can advance to Final Cut Pro if you find the need.

The photo editing capabilities of Photos (included) is okay, but (IMO, as a retired photojournalist) you'd do well to get Photoshop Elements (NOT the full blown Photoshop-it's a waste of money). It will do just about anything you'll need.

Unless demanded by an employer, don't bother to but Microsoft Office. The Apple programs included (Pages, Keynote, Numbers) will read and write MS Office files if necessary and they do a fine job.

(The Apple M chips are very efficient when using RAM, so 16Gb should be okay)