Recommend me a neck relief measure tool

What's Hot
liamonliamon Frets: 103
Doing a bit of tinkering and could maybe use something more scientific than eyeballing. Anyone have a recommendation for a good tool for neck relief measuring? Cheap is good. 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• pt22pt22 Frets: 274
    Capo on the 1st fret, finger on the 12-15th. This will rely on level frets. Otherwise a notched straightedge which you can find on Amazon or Ali Express pretty cheap. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ElectricXIIElectricXII Frets: 1133
    A cheap capo at the first fret and a set of feeler gauges is all you need.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • Hydra19Hydra19 Frets: 329
    edited April 21
    Cheap feeler gauges, I've had mine for a while and am worried they are not totally flat anymore.....anyway, Dan Erlewine recommends using a popsicle stick and gluing on a .010 gauge string, that becomes a DIY 0.010 feel gauge, which can be better than eyesight (obviously just a little part of string that's been cut)
  • daveyhdaveyh Frets: 684
    A cheap capo at the first fret and a set of feeler gauges is all you need.
    100% this
  • TanninTannin Frets: 5481
    Go to any car parts shop and get a set of metric feeler gauges. (Metric because it is much, much easier and less error prone for small distances.) Something like these: https://sydneytools.com.au/product/toledo-301159-feeler-gauge-tapered-10-blade-metric

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72432
    Cut the end off the new top E string, and use that as a feeler gauge. That’s the perfect relief in almost every case, regardless of gauge.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • liamonliamon Frets: 103
    edited April 21
    Yes sorry it’s the feeler gauges I’m looking for. Didn’t know what they were called. Thanks, have ordered some! 
  • liamonliamon Frets: 103
    ICBM said:
    Cut the end off the new top E string, and use that as a feeler gauge. That’s the perfect relief in almost every case, regardless of gauge.
    That is surprisingly low! 
    liamon said:

That is surprisingly low! 
    It can often be even lower than that if the neck and fretting are really perfect. You don’t want it quite dead straight, but the closest to that which is possible without rattling in the low positions gives the best feel up and down the neck. The bridge may need to be raised slightly if it then chokes around the 12th fret area.

Most guitars don’t play as well as they can because they have too much relief and the bridge is then set too low to try to give a nice action.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7039
    tFB Trader
    ICBM said:
    It can often be even lower than that if the neck and fretting are really perfect. You don’t want it quite dead straight, but the closest to that which is possible without rattling in the low positions gives the best feel up and down the neck. The bridge may need to be raised slightly if it then chokes around the 12th fret area.
    In all my time I've never measured relief. I start with the neck straight then add whatever relief is necessary, normally very little.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • jasonbone75jasonbone75 Frets: 641
    ICBM said:
    In all my time I've never measured relief. I start with the neck straight then add whatever relief is necessary, normally very little.

Agree 100% with both. I don't know anyone that has ever measured it either. I don't agree much with player's statements along the lines of "set it to my preferred relief" or "the relief I like". You set it to what the guitar requires and play it.

If a player needs more relief than the guitar requires they should probably work on their technique some more :)
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11600
    tFB Trader
    Imperial feeler gauges with 25 or so blades, and a capo for the first fret
    Work for anywhere between 0.004" - 0.014" for relief....adjust to taste

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14472
    Breed gnats. 
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • euaneuan Frets: 1501
    pt22 said:
    Capo on the 1st fret, finger on the 12-15th. This will rely on level frets. Otherwise a notched straightedge which you can find on Amazon or Ali Express pretty cheap. 
    Aren’t they not particularly straight?
  • daveyhdaveyh Frets: 684
    Tannin said:
    Go to any car parts shop and get a set of metric feeler gauges. (Metric because it is much, much easier and less error prone for small distances.) Something like these: https://sydneytools.com.au/product/toledo-301159-feeler-gauge-tapered-10-blade-metric

Metric is only easier if you don’t know how to use imperial, otherwise it’s six of one half a dozen of another. If you are doing anything with comparison to USA standards imperial is the better option. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BillDLBillDL Frets: 7293
    ICBM said:
    I don't measure relief other than sometimes for curiosity or to keep a note of it it's somebody else's guitar, however string offcuts make excellent guagues:
  • digitalkettledigitalkettle Frets: 3273
    Am I doing it wrong?
     - guitar tuned up and in playing position
     - left hand depresses G string at first fret
     - right hand little finger holds down G string somewhere near the body join
     - right hand first finger taps G string near the 7th/8th fret while sighting the gap (a well positioned phone screen below can help visibility)
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 10517
    tFB Trader
    ICBM said:
    Same here. 
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

Am I doing it wrong?
     - right hand first finger taps G string near the 7th/8th fret while sighting the gap (a well positioned phone screen below can help visibility)
    That’s exactly how I do it.

• fretfinderfretfinder Frets: 5053
    edited April 21
    ICBM said:
    Am I doing it wrong?
    That’s exactly how I do it.
    Me too except I do it on the top and bottom E strings, don’t know why I just always have. 
    250+ positive trading feedbacks: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/57830/