ToneX One - new release. Mini pedal with Amp Captures, Verb, IR loading etc - £140?

What's Hot
jamesguitarjamesguitar Frets: 147
edited April 24 in Digital & Modelling
So this appeared on a Canadian retail site (before eventually being removed). $239 Canadian, so around £140. 

Thoughts?

- EDIT - now appearing on Amazon US with official product video etc. -

FEATURES:

• Advanced AI Machine Modeling™ technology for hyper-realistic tone
• Play models of amps, amps+cabs, combos or distortion, overdrive, fuzz,
boost and EQ pedals
• Stores up to 8 banks of 3 Tone Models each (2 for dual mode, 1 for bypass
mode)
• Gain, bass, mid, treble, and volume controls
• Onboard EQ, gate, compressor and reverb
• Tracks all on-stage changes with “always saved” behavior
• Dual A/B or on/off operating modes
• Cabinet bypass to connect to traditional rigs
• TRS stereo output to connect to other pedals, PA or headphones
• Runs on standard 9v pedal power supplies
• Also works as a USB audio interface for recording
• Access to ToneNET to share, download and load over 25,000 free and premium Tone Models

Two modes, unlimited possibilities.

TONEX One offers 2 performance modes:
The dual preset mode hosts two presets, allowing the footswitch to toggle between them. It functions akin to a two channel amp - artists can have both clean and crunch sounds in one box, easily toggling between two completely different sets of Tone Models and settings.

The on-off mode works just like most pedals, toggling between a single preset and a bypassed state. This mode makes TONEX One an ideal overdrive pedal offering limitless choices of overdrive, fuzz and more. Best of all, TONEX One lets users save up to 8 banks of unique dual/on-off combinations, for a total of 24 total onboard Tone Models. With the ability to stack multiple TONEX One on a single board, the combinations are endless.
0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9571
    Looks interesting…

Let’s just hope that the software is a lot better than the Tonex; I literally could not get the thing to work.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • jamesguitarjamesguitar Frets: 147
    Looks interesting…

Let’s just hope that the software is a lot better than the Tonex; I literally could not get the thing to work.
    Yes, I don’t love the editing software either. They’ve done some recent updates that have improved it (indexing etc), but still needs work imo.

If this comes pre-loaded with good captures, then some people will be happy with it as is. I can also see it being used purely for drive pedal captures on smaller boards (switching between a Tubescreamer and Bluesbreaker etc). 

In terms of market it’s competition is probably the Kemper Player (£599, but has delay and modulation / stereo out) and the BOSS IR2 (£179 - doesn’t play captures and current 3 month waiting list, but has effects loop and stereo outs).

IK are probably hoping this drives a lot more people to their platform and the rest of us are hoping this will drive down the prices of capture-based units in general / make that tech more accessible.
  • stonevibestonevibe Frets: 7155
    A few images leaked over the weekend, and it looks okay. I always find IK hardware a bit hit-and-miss in terms of quality and ongoing support. 

Win a Cort G250 SE Guitar in our Guitar Bomb Free UK Giveaway 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • borntohangborntohang Frets: 141
    Looks perfect for me but I'm reluctant to get into more devices that require third party software at the moment! Love the idea of a single pedal modelling two decent amp channels and some ambience for IEM gigs though.
  • willowillo Frets: 383
    I didn't expect to find myself saying this, but it might be too small. At least for anything other than an ultra portable backup. 
    Looks perfect for me but I'm reluctant to get into more devices that require third party software at the moment! Love the idea of a single pedal modelling two decent amp channels and some ambience for IEM gigs though.

100%. I can see a lot of playing using this in the loop of HX Stomp for fly gigs / portable rig. Could also use it in the loop of an AxeFX FM3 to have a second amp channel.

I personally like the idea of a TC Plethora x3 and one of these. If the captures are great out the box then I think a lot of players will just use it as is. 

If you’re someone that just uses one or two profiles on a Kemper and not much else then you’re getting something way more portable for 10% of the cost. Or would keep one in the pocket of guitar case as a backup amp.
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2750
    Looks brilliant - almost certainly be ordering one.    The tonex is easy to use and with decent captures like amalgam it sounds great but a cut down version will be very handy
    I use my tonex for a gig where I only need two presets - a marshall rhythm sound and a solo tone so I could jut flick between them.  
    It will be a super useful box to give an amp capture at the end of a pedalboard for feeding to the desk or iem's.     
    It’s starting to appear on the big sites. Am sure some of the YouTubers will start posting clips (albeit sponsored videos).

https://www.chicagomusicexchange.com/en-gb/products/ik-multimedia-tonex-one-amp-modeler-multi-effects-2019970

https://www.amazon.com/IK-Multimedia-XG-PEDAL-TONEXONE-IN-TONEX-One
    So new info from those listings -

1) There’s an onboard tuner.

2) The LEDs on the control knobs are customisable (9 different colours).
  • jpttaylorjpttaylor Frets: 465
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2750
    Andertons have them as preorder for 20th May at £189,  so a little more than I expected but still a good buy.

I wonder if it will run on a usb powerbank?
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26639
    OK, I'm sold on the hardware. I just wonder if I'll ever be able to live with the software.

As an aside, that Giacomo Castellano dude is great! Very listenable, not the usual demo guitarist who gives you a total "meh" feeling.
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DrCorneliusDrCornelius Frets: 7207
    OK, I'm sold on the hardware. I just wonder if I'll ever be able to live with the software.

As an aside, that Giacomo Castellano dude is great! Very listenable, not the usual demo guitarist who gives you a total "meh" feeling.
    You beat me to it - now that’s how to do a demo !
  • guitarcookie1guitarcookie1 Frets: 464
    I don't find the software too bad to use, but only as far as adding third-party captures (drag & drop from desktop to a custom folder in Tonex & from there to a preset slot on the pedal).

Needs to be more like Line 6 Edit  imho.

John_P said:
    Andertons have them as preorder for 20th May at £189,  so a little more than I expected but still a good buy.

I wonder if it will run on a usb powerbank?
    I think it's an acceptable price - if you think of it as a two-channel drive pedal, £189 isn't particularly offensive. And, obviously, it does loads more.

The only problem with running from a power bank - assuming it can - is that the USB-C port is at the front of the pedal, not the back. Unless you mean doing it with something like my setup (with the ZY12PDN trigger board), in which case...those things can run an HX Stomp, so they shouldn't have any trouble with this.
    <space for hire>
  • Axe_meisterAxe_meister Frets: 4647
    Have to say if I were to do over my rig, this could well be the heart of it with a plethora X5 (with this in the loop). Plus a Fuzz and a wah.

edited April 25
    Have to say if I were to do over my rig, this could well be the heart of it with a plethora X5 (with this in the loop). Plus a Fuzz and a wah.

Same here, maybe even with an X3. In fact, it's entirely possible that I might do that anyway.

EDIT: FFS, no loop on the X3. TC strikes again.
    <space for hire>
  • Axe_meisterAxe_meister Frets: 4647
    Yeah I have an X3 and the lack of loop is pain as I can't put compression before gain and delay/modulation after gain.
  • gearaddictgearaddict Frets: 895
    Does anyone know if you really get access to the full 22000+ profiles on ToneNET when you buy a ToneX One? Sounds like you do...
    Does anyone know if you really get access to the full 22000+ profiles on ToneNET when you buy a ToneX One? Sounds like you do...

Yep, it looks like it.

Right then, I'm definitely going to be grabbing one of these when they arrive, software or no - the ability to run an ADA MP-1 profile on my board is just too good an opportunity to pass up.
    <space for hire>