Gloves for cold gigs?

What's Hot
AntonHunterAntonHunter Frets: 923
Hi all,

I had some woollen fingerless gloves for back when I was teaching in whichever un-heated broom cupboard a particular school could find on the day I showed up. I felt it was useful for staying warmed up throughout the day (playing sporadically as required etc). Although not ideal for playing, I was ok with it.

I had a particularly chilly gig on the weekend and was cursing myself for not leaving them in my case.

So, does anyone wear gloves while playing? Any specific types? I found wool pretty good on the neck, but the trick was getting fingerless ones with short enough finger holes to not interfere (anything past the knuckle is out!).

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• slackerslacker Frets: 2247
    I've always worn normal gloves until I start playing. I've never done marathon gigs outside.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 11859
    I have a couple of pairs of fingerless gloves designed specifically to help with Reynaud's disease.  They're made of a very thin material to allow maximum movement and dexterity and I have occasionally worn them for short periods to warm up on guitar.

A long way from ideal however.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • LionAquaLooperLionAquaLooper Frets: 1122
    Gloves?  No.  But I do have rechargeable hand warmers in each jacket pocket.  Before and in-between songs my hands are in my pockets gripping those things like there's no tomorrow.  Once I start playing my hands stay warm because of the movement anyway.  They're dirt cheap on eBay and Amazon.
  • BillDLBillDL Frets: 7335
    There is a bass player named Scott Devine that wears a thin glove on his fretting hand to apparently control "focal dystonia" in his fingers.  Having thicker strings that are more spaced out on a bass than on a guitar most probably means that this is possible whereas on a 6-string guitar the gloves might cause buzzing on adjacent strings.  Although I don't think they will be warm they might be better than bare hands.  It might be worth watching anyway.
    TheGuitarGeek also has a comical review of a "guitar practice glove".
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24443
    These

Musician's Practice Glove - 2-Pack Guitar Gloves for Women and Men, Fingertip Protectors for Playing String Instruments, Hand Issues and More, Nylon Thin Gloves for Indoor/Outdoor Gigs, Medium, Black : Amazon.co.uk: Musical Instruments & DJ

I cut the finger tips off for guitar use. Only a little bit just so it's skin on string.
    Palm muting is a bit crap, but I might experiment with putting a slit in the edge so there's some skin there too.

They are not massively warm, but they are better than nothing and they don't get in the way of finger movement.
  • MSedgMSedg Frets: 119
    When I commuted by motorbike, I used to wear some of these bad boys under my main gloves when it was properly nippy:

https://edz.co.uk/product/edz-silk-thermal-liner-inner-seamless-gloves/

They’re properly thin and reasonably warm. If I was gigging outdoors I’d probably go with something similar and chop the fingers to length.
  • AntonHunterAntonHunter Frets: 923
    Loads of interesting things to pursue here, thanks all.
  • hollywoodroxhollywoodrox Frets: 4191
    I’ve worn some regular fingerless gloves with iron crosses on them before , I just chopped the fingers down a bit more, they’re cheap enough to replace & look cool too
  • PALPAL Frets: 540
    I did try it once but it didn't work for me ! Maybe because they were boxing gloves !  ( Sorry )
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8731
    I use too much of my hands when playing for gloves to be practical. Instead I attempt to keep my hands warm with gloves and hand warmers when I’m not playing.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28493
    Someone should invent heated strings. 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DavidRDavidR Frets: 754
    edited April 22
    I used to play in a classical ensemble in some quite cold churches and halls. Not possible to wear gloves but we all found wearing a hat helped. You lose 10% of heat through your head. Enough to help hands? Sometimes!  :-)

The Edge - Biography - IMDb

I hasten to add that is David Evans (The Edge) not me.

I'm much better looking.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • DavidRDavidR Frets: 754
    Sporky said:
    Someone should invent heated strings. 
    Electric fire heating element hi-res stock photography and images - Alamy
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Tall_martinTall_martin Frets: 222
    I played a Christmas lights switch on gig on bass with leather gloves.

It was snowing, chrismassy but not warm.
  • Devil#20Devil#20 Frets: 1970
    Alvin Stardust could play wearing gloves and riding a motorcycle side saddle at the same time. In the words of Ian Brown. You're Amateurs. Amateurs. 

Alvin Stardust dead Everything you need to know about the late star and  his glam rock success - Irish Mirror Online

Ian

Lowering my expectations has succeeded beyond my wildest dreams.

4reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • AntonHunterAntonHunter Frets: 923
    These

Musician's Practice Glove - 2-Pack Guitar Gloves for Women and Men, Fingertip Protectors for Playing String Instruments, Hand Issues and More, Nylon Thin Gloves for Indoor/Outdoor Gigs, Medium, Black : Amazon.co.uk: Musical Instruments & DJ

I cut the finger tips off for guitar use. Only a little bit just so it's skin on string.
    Palm muting is a bit crap, but I might experiment with putting a slit in the edge so there's some skin there too.

They are not massively warm, but they are better than nothing and they don't get in the way of finger movement.

How do you find them for barre chords @fretmeister ?
  • RichACRichAC Frets: 744
    edited April 23
    My guitar teacher was wearing special gloves full time for a while for medical reasons - and still playing regularly. I’ll ask him about them in my next lesson (Thursday).
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 18865
    Devil#20 said:
    Alvin Stardust could play wearing gloves and riding a motorcycle side saddle at the same time. In the words of Ian Brown. You're Amateurs. Amateurs. 

Alvin Stardust dead Everything you need to know about the late star and  his glam rock success - Irish Mirror Online
    Unfortunately named bike, the 'Drag Star'... *facepalm*
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • bluecatbluecat Frets: 580
    I didn't know that Alvin could play Guitar.
    But then what do I know?
  • guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7962
    Wrist warmers help me a lot. Worth considering as they leave your fingers free