Valuation on a JV Squier Strat?

What's Hot
allenallen Frets: 710
A friend of mine is thinking about parting with his Squier strat that he bought from new in the early 80s.

There are a lot of different prices on ebay, reverb so looking for a steer on where to pitch it. Also I've got no idea on which are the sought after ones vs the standard ones. Currently got a stacked humbucker in the bridge, but he has the original bridge pickup.

It has been gigged - but although not a closet queen it looks fairly good to me.

What do you reckon?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• JJ72JJ72 Frets: 57
    That's an SQ strat, not a JV.
    These were the successor to the JV and though not as sought after, they're still great guitars and I've seen them go for between £600 and £700
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    edited April 22
    Biggest visual diference between the SQ and Jv are 3 bolt neck and large headstock so more 70s aesthetics. 
    The SQ's also have 50s style body contours 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • NCoNCo Frets: 163
    A really good JV was sold here for £750, nitro refinished with some pretty good hardware upgrades. I don't imagine SQs to sell for that.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72420
    I’d actually rather have an SQ than a JV.

Why? Because they’re better than most 70s Strats, whereas JVs are not as good as 50s or 60s ones. I like 70s Strats visually, but many/most are overly heavy, shrill-sounding, badly-made dogs.

…but that doesn’t mean they’re worth more. £500-£750 at the outer ends of the range is about right depending on originality, condition, fret wear etc.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• BobHillmanBobHillman Frets: 137
    JJ72 said:
    Biggest visual diference between the SQ and Jv are 3 bolt neck and large headstock so more 70s aesthetics. 

Is that something most people would notice (either from examining or playing)?
    JJ72 said:

Tbf,I think the JV's have the same contours too. 
    It was more an observation that there have been a lot of models from Fender and Squier in.the intervening years that have been far less "sculpted".
    I would say the SQ's are like the 57 bodies in this picture.
    https://imgur.com/a/WoHlpHI
  • Pete.RPete.R Frets: 386
    I would not pay more than €500 for any older MiJ Squier

You can get basicly the same guitar for way less

I've paid less than € 450 incl. shipping from Japan and German VAT for this Fujigen made CoolZ Strat from 2016

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72420
    I think anyone would notice if they compared one to an original 70s Strat, even just casually picking one up let alone wearing it on a strap.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• CarbonCopyCarbonCopy Frets: 208
    I have one of these in white... although it's in pieces at the moment and nowhere near in as good condition. If I was selling one like your friend's one, I would think £500 to £600 would be about right looking at sold SQ Strats on Reverb and Ebay and depending on how quickly your friend wants it sold.

Just a small point, but the pickup in the bridge in the pboto is a mini humbucker, not a stacked humbucker. A stacked has the two coils 'stacked' on top of each other rather than side by side, and they look like single coil pickups.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • hasslehamhassleham Frets: 607
    Lots of inflated prices around for japanese squiers at the moment.. (and everything else)

The bog standard 90s models used to be £200 ish, now the same guitars are for sale by dreamers for £300-350.

E series, more desirable, used to be £300 ish and now you see them up at £500+

IMO anyone buying at these prices is nuts!

You would get £500 for the SQ series, or sell for higher and wait longer for a sale.
  • allenallen Frets: 710
    Thanks very much chaps. This is all super-helpful info and I think it will be going on sale soon.