NPD: Thorpy Scarlet Tunic

Matt_McGMatt_McG Frets: 324
I've had this a week or so, but not really had time to play with it much so far.

First thoughts:

1. It's very dynamic. Huge variation in tone based on picking dynamics and attack. Not just in terms of volume but also in terms of amount of treble content and hair on the note. It really encourages playing with right hand dynamics, muting, switching between choppy staccato playing and more connected playing, etc.

2. It's really exciting sounding with the presence cranked a bit. I have similar models in the HX Stomp but they seem a bit flat and lifeless by comparison.

3. There's really are a ton of controls, and it's not the easiest to find the right combination of the knobs and switches to dial it in just right. 

4. The bass and treble knobs don't seem to do much except at the very bottom of the range, at least to my ears.

5. On the other hand, the bass and treble switches and the presence control are incredibly powerful for shaping tone.

6. There's a distinct feeling of compression or sag when playing, which is very amp-like.

7. It doesn't play very nicely with a compressor in front of it. Much better with the compressor after, and in general, almost every compressor setting made it sound worse except when I was deliberately going for a more "flat" jazzy tone. Mostly because of 1 above, the dynamic range of the pedal and the way the treble and presence in the sound works.

I really like it. It just feels really nice under the hands to play.

Not quite worked out the best way to use it yet, but it's working quite well for me with just a cabinet IR and no amp model in the HX Stomp. I've not played with it in front of a different amp model or a real amp.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• SupportactSupportact Frets: 978
    Sounds very interesting. I've not tried this one but all the Thorpyfx dirt pedals I've had have been outstanding. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GoFishGoFish Frets: 1428
    Nice one. I've been interested in the Scarlet Tunic and this is a good read. Interesting about it working straight into a cabinet IR.
    Ten years too late and still getting it wrong
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom