Stripped truss rod nut (or maybe I’m a numpty!)

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• LongtallronnieLongtallronnie Frets: 1201
    It’s been a stressful week where a lot of shit has gone wrong which has clearly brought out the Private Fraser in me :lol:
    Thanks for everyone’s advice. In future I’ll hold off tinkering until I’m in a better frame of mind! 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Paul_CPaul_C Frets: 7809
    I feel very stupid! 
    I’ve just had a closer look and I think I might’ve gotten away with it. 
    I wrongly assumed it was all one piece and thought something was wrong when I couldn’t see the outer part moving. 
    Combined with using a worn allen key lead me up the completely wrong path!
    So I got the guitar out, along with a brand new allen key and checked again. I think we’re all good. :)

Even having worked on guitars for 20 years doesn't mean I know everything, I'm still finding things I've not seen before.
    "I'll probably be in the bins at Newport Pagnell services."  fretmeister
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Paul_C said:
     I'm saying "So the outer piece is fixed and the allen key goes into the bit inside."

Apologies, somehow I missed this bit, I blame my phone!
  • BillDLBillDL Frets: 7344
    edited April 25
    You aren't alone.  In my 40 odd years of tinkering with guitars I've done exactly the same on a number of occasions.  I've either picked up an imperial Allen wrench without checking and rounded off the corners in the hex cup or else it's been a deeply recessed socket and I thought I had the wrench in all the way.  Only one was too messed up to turn it and fortunately it was a single action one on which I was able to replace the socket.  You get some hex sockets that are quite deeply recessed inside an outer surround and when they are at the headstock end it's sometimes hard to find an Allen wrench with a long enough "short end" that will go all the way into the socket but is short enough to fit down into the carved out access in the wood. One of these that I very nearly messed up was from me trying to adjust it with the ball end of an Allen wrench.
    BillDL said:
    …You get some hex sockets that are qute deeply recessed inside an outer surround and when they are at the headstock end it's sometimes hard to find an Allen wrench with a long enough "short end" that will go all the way into the socket but is short enough to fit down into the carved out access in the wood…
    This is exactly what happened now I’ve had time to think about it. I was also unaware of types with a fixed barrel as all the ones I found online were one piece. 
    Oh well, I’m glad I asked on here before I really fucked it up! :)
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 10563
    tFB Trader
    My own workshop practise, when I get an unfamiliar faulty pickup etc  in, might help those who are about to dive into a repair or an adjustment ... and was taught to me by my father ... possibly the best engineer I have ever met. 

Have a cup of tea (or coffee if that's your preference) and just spend 20 minutes looking at the job from every angle before you ever pick up a tool. 

This bit wasn't available to my dad ... but google the symptoms of the fault (this can be truss rod, pickups, whatever) and read up all you can. This might take up another 20 minutes ... but it lessens the chance of a nasty and potentially costly fuckup hugely.    

Make sure you have the right tools ... and if you don't - don't do the job! The wrong size cross head screwdrivers chew up screw heads, the wrong size allen keys bugger up truss rod adjustment nuts ... oh and the one I clear up the mess from regularly - too small a soldering iron transfers too much heat and fries components ... even whole pickups! 

When in doubt ask an expert BEFORE attempting a job. You will always get honest advice from people who do this stuff for a living on here ... use us ... ask away before buggering up gear. 
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • NeilNeil Frets: 3633
    My own workshop practise, when I get an unfamiliar faulty pickup etc  in, might help those who are about to dive into a repair or an adjustment ... and was taught to me by my father ... possibly the best engineer I have ever met. 

Have a cup of tea (or coffee if that's your preference) and just spend 20 minutes looking at the job from every angle before you ever pick up a tool. 

This bit wasn't available to my dad ... but google the symptoms of the fault (this can be truss rod, pickups, whatever) and read up all you can. This might take up another 20 minutes ... but it lessens the chance of a nasty and potentially costly fuckup hugely.    

Make sure you have the right tools ... and if you don't - don't do the job! The wrong size cross head screwdrivers chew up screw heads, the wrong size allen keys bugger up truss rod adjustment nuts ... oh and the one I clear up the mess from regularly - too small a soldering iron transfers too much heat and fries components ... even whole pickups! 

When in doubt ask an expert BEFORE attempting a job. You will always get honest advice from people who do this stuff for a living on here ... use us ... ask away before buggering up gear. 

Very wise words. My late Dad was the same.