Dipped in tone- Chris Buck

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• Strat54Strat54 Frets: 2441
    Funny how hundreds of thousands of social media followers only equates to a few hundred people bothering to come see you play live. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • mgawmgaw Frets: 5317
    Strat54 said:
    Funny how hundreds of thousands of social media followers only equates to a few hundred people bothering to come see you play live. 
    Yep it is, I caught a clip ofAriel Prosen via insta the other day, Christ I really fail to see why he gets any plaudits, but big following, gear demos, signature pedals abound
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27612
    I don't think I've ever actually listened to Cardinal Black but he's a monstrously good player. 

Loved the podcast. I find Dipped in Tone can be hit & miss but this was a great one. 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BigMonkaBigMonka Frets: 1793
    Strat54 said:
    Or is it fantastic that social media allows thousands of people from all over the world to be part of your fanbase even though they'll never be within a sensible distance of one of your gigs?
    (I assume the truth lies in the middle ground)
    Always be yourself! Unless you can be Batman, in which case always be Batman.
    My boss told me "dress for the job you want, not the job you have"... now I'm sat in a disciplinary meeting dressed as Batman.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 12388
    CaseOfAce said:
    Offset said:
    CaseOfAce said:
    steveh said:
    Absolutely love Chris Buck and his playing.
    So do I +++ but I really do not like Cardinal Black at all, particularly the singer's "soulful" style and delivery. 
    I know they're good of their type, but not my thing at all: Every damn song is about some girl and her "sweet love" or somesuch crap!
    I like Chris in interviews, he’s got a lovely touch, so I went to try Cardinal Black. 100% get this. His guitar playing is lost and wasted on this material, to my ears. 
    I've only just checked 'em out - and got an immediate Rag'N'Bone man vibe... 
    I'm getting a sense that you don't consider this to be a plus, and I'd have to say neither would I.  I'll dip my toe but this very much sounds like a case of admiring someone's playing but not liking their material.
    Not at all Offset.
    Human is a cracking song...and was a massive hit.
    BUT
    There's a tonne of exceptional guitar players out there... Buck, Bowers, Bailio, St.Vincent have been mentioned on here in the past 7 days....
    It doesn't matter how much hot press, signature guitars, pedals and amps, virtuosity, pedalboard rig rundowns and all the other paraphernalia inherent on guitar discussion nerd forums - if your act hasn't written that one 3 minute gem laced with pixie dust - irrespective of instrumentation.. it's a long hard slog to obscurity.
    That's a sad fact, but I'm not sure that one 3 minute gem is enough to save someone from inevitable obscurity :-)
  • CaseOfAceCaseOfAce Frets: 1406
    Offset said:
    CaseOfAce said:
    Offset said:
    CaseOfAce said:
    steveh said:
    Absolutely love Chris Buck and his playing.
    So do I +++ but I really do not like Cardinal Black at all, particularly the singer's "soulful" style and delivery. 
    I know they're good of their type, but not my thing at all: Every damn song is about some girl and her "sweet love" or somesuch crap!
    I like Chris in interviews, he’s got a lovely touch, so I went to try Cardinal Black. 100% get this. His guitar playing is lost and wasted on this material, to my ears. 
    I've only just checked 'em out - and got an immediate Rag'N'Bone man vibe... 
    I'm getting a sense that you don't consider this to be a plus, and I'd have to say neither would I.  I'll dip my toe but this very much sounds like a case of admiring someone's playing but not liking their material.
    Not at all Offset.
    Human is a cracking song...and was a massive hit.
    BUT
    There's a tonne of exceptional guitar players out there... Buck, Bowers, Bailio, St.Vincent have been mentioned on here in the past 7 days....
    It doesn't matter how much hot press, signature guitars, pedals and amps, virtuosity, pedalboard rig rundowns and all the other paraphernalia inherent on guitar discussion nerd forums - if your act hasn't written that one 3 minute gem laced with pixie dust - irrespective of instrumentation.. it's a long hard slog to obscurity.
    That's a sad fact, but I'm not sure that one 3 minute gem is enough to save someone from inevitable obscurity :-)
    Perhaps. But it will sustain lifelong ticket sales.

Take say Wheatus as an example. One worldwide smash almost 25 years ago - along with a decent cover (Respect) - still steadily touring thru clubs throughout the midwest and festival dates galore.
    It's not Taylor Swift 'Eras' tour $$$$$ but ...

"Honey - do you want to go and see Wheatus tonght?" who are they? "'yknow Teenage Dirtbag..." yeah - sure - tickets are only 40 bucks..." 
    ...she's got Dickie Davies eyes...
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27612
    I would go see Wheatus right fuckin now. 

MrsF was a huge fan back in the day
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • ThorpyFXThorpyFX Frets: 6234
    tFB Trader
    Strat54 said:
    Thats a somewhat cynical way of looking at things. I saw Cardinal Black last week at the Crauford arms and it was a fantastic gig. I also saw them supporting Peter Frampton at the Royal Albert Hall. They filled the stage and entertained the crowd equal to the scale of the venue, it was incredible. Cardinal Black are just at the beginning of their career and the band isn't just Chris Buck and friends, it's a real bunch of talented musicians. 

I hope they are able to headline their own spot at the Albert Hall, we absolutely need new bands so that we can all collectively allow the sixties legends to retire finally. 
    Adrian Thorpe MBE | Owner of ThorpyFx Ltd | Email: thorpy@thorpyfx.com | Twitter: @ThorpyFx | Facebook: ThorpyFx Ltd | Website: www.thorpyfx.com
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • PPPMATPPPMAT Frets: 25
    I like Chris, he comes across very well in his videos and he is of course a very good guitarist. Cardinal Blacks music is a matter of taste I suppose but to me they are obviously a talented bunch. Its a good name for a band.
  • menamestommenamestom Frets: 4737

I Saw Cardinal Black in Manchester last year.  I like Chris Buck, he's a top player and I like his youtube stuff etc, but I wasn't a fan of the band.  I found them fairly dull unfortunately.  I've seen far better bands there over the years.
    On paper I should like them.  I can see how others do. 

• StefBStefB Frets: 2406
    I find it odd how so many bands at their level have called themselves 'Something' Black.

As well as Cardinal Black & Florence Black there is now Electric Black too.  They can obviously call themselves whatever they like, and may not even be aware of the other bands, but they do all operate at a similar level on the always the bridesmaid circuit so I'd be surprised if they didn't.

As you were...
  • digitalkettledigitalkettle Frets: 3353
    CaseOfAce said:
    "Honey - do you want to go and see Wheatus tonght?" who are they? "'yknow Teenage Dirtbag..." yeah - sure - tickets are only 40 bucks..." 
    Nah...I've got two tickets to Iron Maiden, baby!
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • LPManicLPManic Frets: 1109
    Really enjoyed this. Chris Buck speaks incredibly well. That Rhett guy annoys me but he spoke a lot less here.
  • borntohangborntohang Frets: 165
    I saw Wheatus and they both opened and closed the set with Teenage Dirtbag; they know their audience. While we're on the subject, Dirtbag is an all-time classic song IMHO - I say that with no qualifications and would genuinely put it up against anything on a Rolling Stone "Top 100 songs to hear before you die" list. 

I've played with RnBMan twice now and he's still headlining festivals and multi-thousand cap venues, so obviously there must have been some more non-Human hits I didn't hear. He was a nice guy and his band are shit hot. 
  • Strat54Strat54 Frets: 2441
    ThorpyFX said:
    Strat54 said:
    Thats a somewhat cynical way of looking at things. I saw Cardinal Black last week at the Crauford arms and it was a fantastic gig. I also saw them supporting Peter Frampton at the Royal Albert Hall. They filled the stage and entertained the crowd equal to the scale of the venue, it was incredible. Cardinal Black are just at the beginning of their career and the band isn't just Chris Buck and friends, it's a real bunch of talented musicians. 

I hope they are able to headline their own spot at the Albert Hall, we absolutely need new bands so that we can all collectively allow the sixties legends to retire finally. 
    They formed back in 2010...originally. What I meant was clicks and follows are cheap, its just a shame no one wants to pay for music anymore. I like Chris Buck he's a nice guy, went to see Buck & Evans which in some ways I preferred to Cardinal Black. Its a tough job these days.
  • blueskunkblueskunk Frets: 2911
    He’s a classy fecker x