New Johnny Marr signature Martin?

What's Hot
thermionicthermionic Frets: 9655
edited April 24 in Acoustics
I noticed a couple of photos from Johnny Marr’s recent tour where support act Gaz Coombes joined him to play Smiths classic Stop Me If You Think You’ve Heard This One Before. Gaz was playing a 7-string Martin which I assumed was the Roger McGuinn model with the two g strings. However, it seems he was actually playing Johnny’s guitar (which Johnny himself used for Please Please Please…)

Johnny’s instagram has just posted a photo of the guitar, apparently a Martin JM35. I can’t find any further info at this time…

https://i.imgur.com/b7YnPem.jpg

https://www.instagram.com/p/C56m552qOX6/?igsh=NDc1Z3dndWZrMmpo
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• BigPaulieBigPaulie Frets: 1114
    Where's the 7th bridge pin?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • lustycourtierlustycourtier Frets: 3337
    Now Im a massive Marr fan, but I cant see a huge market for this. Hes always been the eternal support act, and even less known for playing acoustic.
     Saying that, Ive his signature Yogi shoes and Rayban glasses  :#   
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 9655
    I can’t figure out what is going on with the strings, but there are definitely 7 tuners! Still a bit of a mystery at the moment.
  • DeadmanDeadman Frets: 3911
    Nice, but I can just imagine what the toe curling RRP would potentially be....
  • MartinBMartinB Frets: 210
    There have been one or two makers who've done 12 strings with 6 bridge pins, so I'd guess they've done something like that for the G pair.
    The 7-string Roger McGuinn model had an extra bridge pin offset back from the normal row of six.
  • SlopeSoarerSlopeSoarer Frets: 835
    BigPaulie said:
    Looks like a Photoshop spoof to me as I can only see 6 strings at the nut.
  • LebarqueLebarque Frets: 3880
    Marrtin
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    BigPaulie said:
    Looks like a Photoshop spoof to me as I can only see 6 strings at the nut.
     No, I have studied 3 or 4 photos of the guitar being played on the recent tour, including by Gaz Coombes. There are loads more, by loads of audience members. They haven’t all been photoshopped!

It doesn’t surprise me that Martin offered to make Johnny Marr a special guitar, and not very surprised that they agreed to his request for an extra string for added janglyness (they did something similar for Roger McGuinn after all), but I would be somewhat surprised if it goes into production. The lack of information about it suggests a one-off, and yet the “JM35” designation makes me think otherwise.