Can someone advise please

What's Hot
DeepBlueWitchDeepBlueWitch Frets: 50
Hi there, I have a combo amp and I would like to unplug the speaker and run a cable to my cab. The combo is 16 ohm, and the cab 8, am I going to blow anything up

Thanks in advance
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72448
    What amp is it?

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Hamstead artist 20RT
  • ecc83ecc83 Frets: 1636
    According to the Andertons site that amp has two 8 Ohm speaker jacks. Bloody think so at the *&^ing price!

Dave.
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 9656
    Photo of the back panel shows two sockets and a 3-way switch to select various options. RTFM!
  • Modulus_AmpsModulus_Amps Frets: 2583
    tFB Trader
    Probably not going to blow anything up but people on this forum can not be held liable for bad advice. Best to check with Hamstead as none of us know what primary load they have selected in the design phase.

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27120
    ecc83 said:
    According to the Andertons site that amp has two 8 Ohm speaker jacks. Bloody think so at the *&^ing price!

Dave.
    Not on this one it doesn't. Maybe this is an older version? 

The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    ecc83 said:

Dave.

Can't get enough resolution on that picture to read the legends Sticks' (and eye is pretty *****ed anyway!) but as Modular says, not likely to do any harm UNLESS he runs the absolute beans off it all night. And yes, best to check with the maker. I would not be at all surprised if there was an 8R tap coiled up in that chassis?

Dave.
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27120
    ecc83 said:
    ecc83 said:

Dave.

Can't get enough resolution on that picture to read the legends Sticks' (and eye is pretty *****ed anyway!) but as Modular says, not likely to do any harm UNLESS he runs the absolute beans off it all night. And yes, best to check with the maker. I would not be at all surprised if there was an 8R tap coiled up in that chassis?

Dave.
    Actually it's fuzzy but I think it says 1x16 ohm on the one on the right, but the pair on the left are marked "1 x 8 OHM or 2 x 16 OHM" which would make them useable for this purpose. 

Of course the new ones are clearer with a single socket and a switch marked for the different settings

The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    AMP.png 657.1K
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Thank you everyone, all sorted now. Appreciate the input if you will forgive the play on words. Seems I can use the 16 ohm on the right or an 8 ohm on the left. Thought that was the case but was worried I might blow the amp up.
    Thank you everyone, all sorted now. Appreciate the input if you will forgive the play on words. Seems I can use the 16 ohm on the right or an 8 ohm on the left. Thought that was the case but was worried I might blow the amp up.

You are very welcome. It is actually quite hard to "blow" a competently designed and built valve amplifier. Worse case is no load at all but even then you have to be pretty determined/stupid to wreck a good'un!

Dave.
  • Modulus_AmpsModulus_Amps Frets: 2583
    tFB Trader
    Thank you everyone, all sorted now. Appreciate the input if you will forgive the play on words. Seems I can use the 16 ohm on the right or an 8 ohm on the left. Thought that was the case but was worried I might blow the amp up.
    Right, just don't use the 16ohm speaker with a 8ohm speaker plugged in. so only use

1 x 16r speaker in the combo plugged in the right socket or
    1 x 8r extension speaker plugged into one of the left sockets or
    or 2 x 16ohm speaker plugged into the the left hand jack sockets

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom