Zoom / Teams and different microphones.

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• SporkySporky Frets: 28501
    As I said to my manager today, it's like working with pigs sometimes. 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • skullfunkerryskullfunkerry Frets: 4186
    I found that using a headset (I have a £20 Logitech set) gave me a headache if I was doing an all-day training course over Teams, so I bought a cheapo USB job from Amazon… just had a look through my orders and this is it, although it says no longer available:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B08GLNV9SJ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I mounted it upside down above my head and it works really well; you can just about see it at the top of the frame when I’m on calls, but it’s not intrusive and the sound quality is excellent. I use it for recording voiceovers for videos & e-learning too and it’s crystal clear.
    Too much gain... is just about enough \m/

I'm probably the only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar ;)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24450
    I get increasingly irate that after four years of the whole fecking world doing remote meetings, there's still people who use shit microphones, who haven't worked out that if they don't use headphones then everyone else gets feedback, who don't understand that not muting when there's loads of background noise is awful for everyone else and who still haven't worked out how to do things like screen share.

I genuinely wonder how some people manage to walk and breathe at the same time, sometimes... 
    I don't use headphones and I'm not getting feedback.

It's almost like I know what I'm doing... a bit anyway!
  • sev112sev112 Frets: 2777
    I get increasingly irate that after four years of the whole fecking world doing remote meetings, there's still people who use shit microphones, who haven't worked out that if they don't use headphones then everyone else gets feedback, who don't understand that not muting when there's loads of background noise is awful for everyone else and who still haven't worked out how to do things like screen share.

I genuinely wonder how some people manage to walk and breathe at the same time, sometimes... 
    how would anyone know if no-one has ever mentioned it before , especially after 4 years with no-one mentioning it ?

on researching it tonight it seems that the most common cause is “New TEAMS” or whatever it is called since the past few months, compared to the TEAMS we’ve all been using for the past 4 years .  

For example we’ve been on New TEAMs for a month ish now.  Surprisingly coincidentally it’s only been the last month that people have been mentioning background noise to me, Methinks something in that 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • DuploLicksDuploLicks Frets: 259
    I’ve used the AKG Lyra from home for 3 years & really like it. It has a substantial presence but sits off screen as my laptop is propped on a stand. It can take headphones or route the sound through USB to internal or external speakers. It also has a dedicated mute button so you can mute yourself but still appear attentive on calls as you don’t have the mute icon against you. 

I’m on ‘new’ Teams most of the day with no issues and have an external speaker pointing at the back of the mic, no feedback on Zoom, Google etc.