Add pickup quick connector

What's Hot
Hi guys,

I just bought a Variax JTV89 and feel like changing the pickups to some BKP Silos or Peacemakers.  Now, I am good at soldering and have changed electronics in most of my guitars. I just wondered if anybody has any advice on adding quick connectors from the Variax electrics so I can easily swap pickups. Im thinking about the little units that you insert the wires and screw in, like on electric circuits. Is this just crap or is it a good idea?  Will it affect the tone in anyway?  Has anybody done this already?

Cheers,
Jim
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• timmypixtimmypix Frets: 2402
    Yep, terminal blocks work brilliantly and save you risking burning the pots with repeated changes. @nacnudnai has them in most of his guitars for his ridiculous pickup collection and can probably tell you more.
    Tim
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72445
    It won’t affect the tone at all. The only issue is long-term reliability if they were left alone long enough to corrode or work loose, but if you’re swapping them a lot that’s not really an issue - the important thing is actually to not overtighten the screws, as that chews up the wires and means you’ll have to shorten them after a few swaps.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• m_cm_c Frets: 1243
    If you fit some bootlace ferrules, it'll avoid chewing up the wires.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • sorbz62sorbz62 Frets: 83
    ICBM said:
    It won’t affect the tone at all. The only issue is long-term reliability if they were left alone long enough to corrode or work loose, but if you’re swapping them a lot that’s not really an issue - the important thing is actually to not overtighten the screws, as that chews up the wires and means you’ll have to shorten them after a few swaps.
    Brill! Thanks mate.
    m_c said:
    Probably a bit large for the size of wires in a guitar. I usually twist and tin the wires, then if you don’t crush them with the screws they last pretty well.

Ferrules would be a great idea for speaker cables if you were doing that.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• m_cm_c Frets: 1243
    ICBM said:
    m_c said:
    Probably a bit large for the size of wires in a guitar. I usually twist and tin the wires, then if you don’t crush them with the screws they last pretty well.

Ferrules do come in small sizes..
    Bit of a pain to get on with really fine wire though.
  • sorbz62sorbz62 Frets: 83
    ICBM said:
    m_c said:

Do you have a link to the connectors you use?
    sorbz62 said:

Do you have a link to the connectors you use?
    Anything like this - https://www.screwfix.com/p/3a-12-terminal-terminal-strips-10-pack/25545

You don't need any larger than the smallest current rating they do (usually 2A or 3A). Just cut off as many as you need for the pickup.

• KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 18829
    I prefer the spring loaded quick connectors, like these.
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/256397282280?
     Cheaper brands are available if you look around.