Voting for Solo of the Month (SotM) #105

Welcome to the voting thread for Solo of the Month (SotM) #105. Feel free to vote and comment in this thread.

Thanks to @fastonebaz for this backing track

Vote for your top 3 entries. If you're an entrant you can't vote for yourself.

1st choice gets 5 points
2nd choice gets 3 points
3rd choice gets 1 point

Voting will end at midnight 30th April 2024.

The top three will be announced after the voting closes. No prizes. It's just for fun.

It's not a competition.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• stratman3142stratman3142 Frets: 2198
    This is a tricky one because it's difficult to choose between them and they all sound great.

5 points : @jasonbone75 : I think this one has the right combination of attitude (vibe), melody, dynamics and build, to fit the backing perfectly.

3 points : @fastonebaz : Nice combination of melody and layered guitar. Sounds quite Steve Vai.

1 points : @Bellycaster : Slightly more understated than the other two. A mellow tubey guitar sound. Some great lines that follow the chords well.

It's not a competition.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • fastonebazfastonebaz Frets: 4110
    I really enjoyed listening back to all these.   I had the backing track in my head for ages but wasn't sure what went with it before this comp.  Cool to hear the different takes on it. 

5pts @jasonbone75 I loved the silky tone and the note choices and phrasing was very emotive.  Great work.  I wanted more at the end.

3pts @Bellycaster wholly different tonal approach and super tasty licks, nice work

1pts @stratman3142 deffo won the most notes per second comp :smile: another alternative approach, was that the phrygian in the final section?   I felt the others edged it overall though.

@stratman3142 ...was that the phrygian in the final section?...
    I was mainly aiming for Phrygian dominant. But I think of the Phrygian dominant as being like the Phrygian mode but with a 3 instead of b3. Which sometimes results in me hitting the b3 in the heat of the moment.

It's not a competition.
  • jasonbone75jasonbone75 Frets: 642
    As stratman3142 mentioned above really tricky because they all hit the spot! I would give them all equal billing but them's not the rules so under duress:

5pts @Bellycaster I just felt the melody was interesting and had a couple of unexpected note choices

3pts @stratman3142 the first section grabbed me a fraction more than baz's

1pts @fastonebaz lovely layers and playing and frankly it sucks to not be allowed to award joint placings!!!
  • BellycasterBellycaster Frets: 5862
    All these had a great melodic approach and some nice lines. Tough to pick, so there's less of a gap between the placing that the points would suggest.

5 Points @fastonebaz - This grabbed me the most, I liked the layering, great tone, quite Vai-eeeey.

3 Points @jasonbone75 - Another great melody, slightly more understated but very catchy.

1 Point @stratman3142 - Nice phrasing, lovely bends, vibrato and impressive legato licks at the end.
    Only a Fool Would Say That.
    Voting ends tonight at midnight.
    It's not a competition.
    Voting closed.

It's not a competition.