Rode NT1 replacement?

What's Hot

I quite like my Rode NT1.  Trouble is it's making noises now, looking at the capsule it's probably got too much dirt on it.  The mic is probably 25 years old and not been treated amazingly. 

That said, I like the sound.   I could look at replacing the capsule, but a new NT1 Signature is about £140 and comes with a shock mount and pop filter, which would be handy (mine have disappeared over the last few years).  So thinking of just replacing the mic completely.   The capsule change looks a bit of a pain, because it is mounted in a rubber surround which is tight, so knowing me I'd damage the new one trying to get it in.

Will the signature sound very similar to the original NT1?

Open to alternatives, flattering LDC for lower range vocals.   
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27136
    I have little to add besides that I really like my modern NT1 bought a couple of years ago :) 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33806
    These are cheap enough to replace when they break. 
    The modern NT1 is great.
    I have an original one from the 90's and a 5th gen with XLR and USB.
    The modern one is better and comes with a great shockmount plus an pop filter.
  • menamestommenamestom Frets: 4723

Thanks guys, good to hear.  I’ll go for the signature.

A few folks were saying the previous 4th Gen with the black grille sounds better than the current one but I think that probably just splitting hairs on forums etc.

I can always use the old one as a future project mic.

A decent shockmount and pop filter make everything easier usability wise for occational use also.
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10434
    Does the noise change when you touch the body of the mic ? If so check everything is tight at the bottom of the mic where the XRL connector is. 

The Chinese made SE's are pretty good for the money and you can pick up a large diaphragm condenser with  shock mount and box for £50 on a good day
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
    Danny1969 said:
    Does the noise change when you touch the body of the mic ? If so check everything is tight at the bottom of the mic where the XRL connector is. 

The Chinese made SE's are pretty good for the money and you can pick up a large diaphragm condenser with  shock mount and box for £50 on a good day
    No I think the case is sound, it's not related to movement or anything.  I had a look at the capsule and it is pretty dirty.  My mate had it for years and probably smoked around it.  I'd have a go at cleaning it with distilled water and very soft paint brushes, but I would imagine cheaper capsules would be too fragile.  That said worth a go as I'd only replace it as a project at some point anyway.

This guy uses delicate task wipes.

Microphone Capsule Cleaning - Plasma Music Limited

We have an SE in the Studio.  It's an se2200 and agree that's a nice mic.  Smooth sound, none of the harsh highs you get with some cheap LDC's.  To be honest I'll probably start the project with that anyway.  

So, cleaning seem to go well.  I got some very soft fine paintbrushes and distilled water and very gently cleaned the capsule.  There was one particularily large particlle on there, which may have cause the issue.  No gold lifted and I avoided any damage.

Had a quick listen last night and seemed to be quiet, so I think it's all sorted.  I'll have a good session with it this week and all being well it it's back in service.

So if anybody wan't to send me their vintage U87, I'll happily give it a clean for you.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom