ISP DECIMATOR G STRING vs Boss NS-1X

StrummyBrummieStrummyBrummie Frets: 266
Has anyone got any experience of these two pedals? I'm after a noise gate/suppressor for high gain metal rhythm.

I was going to get the ISP, but then I saw Boss had released a new one. There isn't much in the way of reviews or head to head comparisons on the internet.

If anyone has any views on the subject that they would like to share I would be grateful. 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• DopesickDopesick Frets: 1510
    I had the Decimator G at one point and it was great.

If you can get it, try out the Fortin Zuul, that thing is the daddy. Does a mini version too which is pedalboard friendly.
  • Dopesick said:
    I had the Decimator G at one point and it was great.

If you can get it, try out the Fortin Zuul, that thing is the daddy. Does a mini version too which is pedalboard friendly.
    I'm aware of the Zuul, but I'd heard it was tricky to dial in? 
  • sgosdensgosden Frets: 1994
    How much gain/ what metal / how tight do you need? 

Are you looking for fast and tight or just taking some of the buzz of a live stage with gainy Amps?
  • sgosden said:

Are you looking for fast and tight or just taking some of the buzz of a live stage with gainy Amps?
    sgosden said:

Lot's of gain. Not Djent, but I'd like it to be capable of that. So fast and tight. 
  • Secret_SamSecret_Sam Frets: 279
    Can't comment on your two specific noise gates, but I can confirm that the MXR Smart Gate works very well and is trivially easy to dial in.
  • kelpbedskelpbeds Frets: 183
    Used  a G string decimator for years. Great bit of kit

Check out my Blues lessons channel at:  https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCBTSHf5NqVQDz0LzW2PC1Lw
  • rockmonsterrockmonster Frets: 838
    I had the Boss very briefly but sent it back as it was not as good (for what I needed) as the NS-2 I already had. Not tried the ISP as I’m happy enough with the NS-2 now that I’ve tried the betterer pedal! :)
  • StrummyBrummieStrummyBrummie Frets: 266
    edited April 29
    Thanks everyone for the comments so far.

I had some Amazon vouchers lying about from my birthday and noticed that they were selling the NS-1X at good price so I grabbed one yesterday. 

It seems to do all the things I was after very well. Very tight fast gating, and it also reduced unwanted string noise. There may a slight tonal change... It's not bad at all just different. It's pretty subtle, it might even be my imagination. I just need to decide how I feel about it.

The only real negative so far is how close together the input/output and send/return on both sides of the pedal are. I use pancake jacks and I can't fit two in the same side. A very strange design choice by Boss.. 

Luckily I had some Neutriks on hand otherwise I would have been stuffed. 
  • LestratcasterLestratcaster Frets: 1088
    I've used the original NS-2 and also owned the ISP Decimator. Have to say the NS-2 worked better when playing high gain. The ISP was only good when changing to clean so it didn't totally gate the sound. The most recent band I played it hardly had any cleans so I just stuck to the NS-2.