N(O)GD - 2004 Les Paul

What's Hot
DdiggerDdigger Frets: 2377

Thanks to @Sarge ; and the seller, both of whom were super easy to deal with.

The New (Old) Guitar I bought is this one…

https://thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/255266/wts-now-sold-03-lp-standard-50s-plus-top-final-price-drop-to-1550#latest

https://i.imgur.com/hi2WxwU.jpg

Work has been full on the last couple of weeks, so just getting around to posting about it now.

I messaged Sarge on 30th March.  I had been re-visiting the For Sale thread looking over the photos since October 2023, but as it was “collection only”, I didn’t think it was going to every happen.  Price had come down a long way over a few months and a courier was now an option (thanks to @supes for suggesting Lenspeed).

Sarge put me in contact with the owner.  Owner was flexible and easy to deal with.  After contacting Lenspeed and sorting out the shipping, a deal was struck with both parties on the 1st of April.  I am not a superstitious person.

I am in Aberdeen, 2+hr North of Edinburgh, so Lenspeed were quite a bit more than what he quotes for somewhere in the “green zone” (have a look at his website for where the standard £55 delivery applies – it is a fair sized area).  Anyway, the guitar was a great price, so all part of the deal I suppose.

School holidays were getting in the way and I said to Len that I wasn’t in a hurry, so he could fit the delivery date around what other work he had up in my neck of the woods – that was the 17th.

Guitar was picked up at 07:30 on the Monday and Len was outside my house at 06:10 on the Wednesday.  BTW Len says he is up in this part of Scotland once per month if anyone else is thinking of using his services.

Len was great to deal with, guitar was secured in the back of the van and he had checked the strings were slack when he collected.  TBH if he’d asked to deliver at 4AM, I would have gotten up, no problem.  Considering he is on the road a lot, Len replied to messages very quickly and kept me update with collection and delivery as we got closer to the date.

While awaiting delivery, I emailed Gibson (service@gibson.com) at 21:34hr one Saturday evening with the SN and received a reply at 16:16 on the Monday – pretty good service for a guitar they sold 20+ years ago.  They gave me a brief description of the guitar (model, neck profile, colour, date and place of manufacture) and a two page PDF from the 2004 catalogue with the Standard Specs.

I had a go at deciphering the hieroglyphics in the pickup routs.  Searching the Internet is a bit of a double edged sword as I did pick up some useful information about the year/model, but had to wade through a lot of garbage and stuff that was 100% wrong.  I wonder if Gibson would be able to provide that?  My best guess is: LP5+9 HSNH1, Les Paul Standard, 50s neck, plus top, Heritage Cherry Sunburst, Nickel Hardware.

I don’t know the history of this guitar, but it is in fantastic condition for 20+ year old.  I don’t think it has been played in a long time, but it has been set up really well, holds tuning rock solid, intonation is very “sweet” (I need to do some work on my other guitars).  Bridge pickup sounds great and this probably the best neck pickup I have played.

Not sure what is going on with the toggle switch, but maybe the player liked it set up that way (low and the wrong way round) - the photo below is the bridge pickup selected.  I haven’t taken the back covers off yet - don’t really see a need to do any poking about in there.

https://i.imgur.com/3tlL3Ib.jpg

I don't think these are the original strap buttons (some sort of strap lock system?), so will have to sort them out at some point.

https://i.imgur.com/n2abH4F.jpg

I like a pickguard on a LP, but there is no hole on the front, so don’t plan on fitting the loose guard.

Top is way more flamy than in the original ad pictures.  I actually prefer a plain top, but I am going to forget about that make the most of playing it.

https://i.imgur.com/y0R8nIk.jpg

There is a guitar hanger on the wall next to the TV.  I have a 2016 LP Trad Pro II in Iced Tea (which is another great price, collection only story as well) and so far neither the missus nor the loon (boy) have noticed that there’s a different guitar on display.  The other LP will have to go at some point.

Buying a guitar unseen/played is always a bit of a punt, but really glad I finally took the chance.

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• SlopeSoarerSlopeSoarer Frets: 848
    I'm not particularly into flame tops but that looks rather nice! I enjoyed your read and you enjoy your N(O)GD!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BoromedicBoromedic Frets: 4868
    edited April 28
    I was so so tempted with that when it was in the classifieds, great score and calling dibs!! I already have a cherry sunburst, if that had been a different finish I may well have jumped at the chance to pick it up.

HNGD, was definitely a great choice and a great price. The strap buttons look like Schaller strap locks, and I bet the toggle came loose and was tightened up the wrong way perhaps. I'd open it up and sort it soon because it'll be straining the solder joints if it's twisted.

Enjoy

My head said brake, but my heart cried never.

• GoFishGoFish Frets: 1437
    A good LP is probably the prettiest guitar. That was an excellent read and description of acquiring it. HNGD.
    Ten years too late and still getting it wrong
  • EpsilonEpsilon Frets: 622
    That's fab. I know everyone says that their era of LP is the good one, but I really do think the 2002-06 ones have something special.

My main LP is a 2005, and I think the only weak point is the pickups on these tend to be a bit boomy (mainly the neck). Changed it for a set of Monty's PAFs and couldn't be happier. See how you get on and enjoy!
  • supessupes Frets: 183
    Great read. Glad to hear Lenspeed were very helpful, but not surprised because they've been fantastic for me. Although it is easier if you're moving a guitar in the "£55 zone" - it's not worth risking it with anyone else at that price!

I've bought a couple of Les Pauls with pickup selector switch the wrong way round, and both times it was as @Boromedic suggests. An easy fix. 

Looks like a very nice LP, i much prefer older guitars with a bit of history! Enjoy :) 
  • SargeSarge Frets: 2428
    Happy days!
    Glad the whole transaction went smoothly, for both parties. 
    And you got a bargain there, despite helping the seller with the ad etc I tried to get her to keep it as it is worth more than the current market dictates, and it's only going up in value.

It really is very pretty indeed, Happy NGD
  • tone1tone1 Frets: 5178
    I was so close to pulling the trigger on this one….but didn’t fancy risking the postage option….looks fantastic  <3
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6096
    That's a beauty. Re the pickup selector, I wonder if the original owner adjusted it because he was inadvertently hitting it while playing - I got my first LP recently and find it's something I do, I might try adjusting mine similarly to see if it cures the problem. Hngd!
  • SargeSarge Frets: 2428
    JezWynd said:
    That's a beauty. Re the pickup selector, I wonder if the original owner adjusted it because he was inadvertently hitting it while playing - I got my first LP recently and find it's something I do, I might try adjusting mine similarly to see if it cures the problem. Hngd!
    All my guitars with a selector in a hittable position get the switch rotated 90 degrees, so left-right switching as opposed to up-down.
    It baffles me why this isn't industry standard, neck points towards the neck, bridge to bridge.... makes perfect sense. 
    Sarge said:
    JezWynd said:
    All my guitars with a selector in a hittable position get the switch rotated 90 degrees, so left-right switching as opposed to up-down.
    It baffles me why this isn't industry standard, neck points towards the neck, bridge to bridge.... makes perfect sense. 
    Cos up and down is betterer innit, don't mess with perfection ;)

Seriously though it's a much more natural arc of your arm if you're switching mid song or for the chorus or whatever. 

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • NeilNeil Frets: 3637
    That's lovely. HNGD.

I've got a 2004 LP+ too. 

^^ lovely! Pick guard for the win :)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom