Compression question

What's Hot
DeepBlueWitchDeepBlueWitch Frets: 51
Hello, I am a home player ( playing at a reasonable home volume). I was watching a review on YouTube regarding compressors and the guy was saying there is no point getting a compressor for “quieter volumes because the notes won’t really get compressed. Is this the case, I was hoping to add the sustain element if nothing else (Boss  CS 3 for example). Any advice much appreciated

Mark.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6118
    You should still be able to achieve long sustain or a plucky attack sound at low volume. It's mostly down to the strength of signal hitting the compressor - if the signal is over the set Threshold point then compression will occur. If you find you're not getting the effect you. require then a clean boost in front of the compressor may help. You'll need a master volume on your amp to lower the output volume if the resultant sound is too loud, though most compressors have an output volume control which should suffice. IIRC, the Sustain control on the CS-3 is in fact a Threshold control - you. are setting the level at which compression will occur.
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17672
    tFB Trader
    That advice was rubbish.

It's not the absolute volume but how the compressor is set and the peaks in the playing.

It's actually very useful for low volume playing as it replaces some of the natural sustain you get from playing loud.

There are lots of great compressors out there but my recommendation would be to get one with a clean blend as this gives the best of both worlds.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • DodgeDodge Frets: 1447
    my recommendation would be to get one with a clean blend as this gives the best of both worlds.

Ansolutely this.  All compressors should have a clean blend IMHO.
  • Thank you so much gents, much appreciated.
  • benmurray85benmurray85 Frets: 1397
    If anything, I find that (subtle) use of a compressor at lower volumes is a really pleasant thing. 

+1 for a comp with a clean blend. 
    How very rock and roll
  • SupportactSupportact Frets: 1001
    Hello, I am a home player ( playing at a reasonable home volume). I was watching a review on YouTube regarding compressors and the guy was saying there is no point getting a compressor for “quieter volumes because the notes won’t really get compressed. Is this the case, I was hoping to add the sustain element if nothing else (Boss  CS 3 for example). Any advice much appreciated

Mark.
    I'd say the opposite to that guy because with a pedal the signal is getting compressed before it hits the amp. If anything sometimes I turn off the compressor if I really have to turn up the amp loud because a valve amp compresses a bit anyway if you turn it up.