To go digitial?

What's Hot
lincolnbluelincolnblue Frets: 294
I have a Fender Blues Deluxe which I love and use at home as well as at church. 
I used to have a Yamaha THR10C but sold it. I'm now wondering again about silent practice and wondering the best way to go. I'm not one for touch screen, loads of menus etc so wondering what I could use. Is there anything under £200 (new or used) that I could use either with my amp for silent playing with headphones or a separate modeller that I can use with headphones that will not give me too many options?

I'm slightly concerned that if I go down the digital/modeller route then I'll not use my Blues Deluxe again which I don't want yo happen.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17656
    tFB Trader
    Nux mighty plug
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Power_FreakPower_Freak Frets: 199
    edited April 28
    For that purpose I picked up an old Pod2.0 a while ago - it still does the business and I find it more intuitive to use than most modern options. You can pick them up for relatively cheap these days.

EDIT: With all these options though make sure you have good quality headphones, if you don't have any factor that into your budget. You'll likely have to spend more on those than the modeller itself
  • JetfireJetfire Frets: 1696
    Maybe having a two notes torpedo may be a better option if you're that worried about never using an amp again... 
  • lincolnbluelincolnblue Frets: 294
    Jetfire said:
    Maybe having a two notes torpedo may be a better option if you're that worried about never using an amp again... 
    Which one would you recommend? I've never quite understood the differences
  • PolarityManPolarityMan Frets: 7297
    If you already have a decent interface then you could get a couple of decent VSTs 
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    If you already have a decent interface then you could get a couple of decent VSTs 
    I do, but I ideally want something that I can plug my board into or use with my amp
  • sev112sev112 Frets: 2788
    Fender headphone thingy , it’s really good.  I even put it into an amp with a Jack converter,  but it is really good for headphone play with Bluetooth songs 
  • JetfireJetfire Frets: 1696
    Jetfire said:
    Which one would you recommend? I've never quite understood the differences
    So, for silent practise you'd need this: 

https://www.two-notes.com/en/torpedo-series/torpedo-captor-x/

However... you may find a digital modeller a more appealing option price wise.  
  • nero1701nero1701 Frets: 1460
    I'm using a Two Notes Opus for 99% of my home play these days.

I plug my pedal board into it and its an amp and cab sim.

I can also use it as a Cab sim instead of micing up at a gig.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • gpw5150gpw5150 Frets: 23
    This is something I have seriously considered for many reasons;

weight
    flexibility
    reliability
    integration

but I am still in awe of my old Fender Tweed tube amp and I am such a limited player (in rockabilly and country/blues) with limited musicality and sonic needs, I don’t think I would ever benefit from the musical ability they can unleash.  I would benefit more from learning more and investing in my ability.

So, I am gonna stay old school at home and at gigs for now.  If I ever become creative enough to really use effects well, then there is a ‘maybe’ there - totally love the idea and the new directions people are taking music and guitar in.
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2911
    NUX Mighty Plug Pro is pretty good, much better than the Fender one imo. I'm now looking at either the ToneX One or Pod Express though, leaning toward the ToneX as I think the sounds and feel (if the plugin is anything to go by) are better than HX modelling.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • YorkieYorkie Frets: 1520
    edited April 28
    NUX Mighty plug if you’re a tweaker. 

Fender Mustang Micro if you’re not. It’s got buttons, a volume pot and doesn’t need a god damn phone. 

The Fender does Fender better than the NUX. The NUX does a better Marshall than the Fender. The effects on the Fender are limited but sound good. In a way, it’s like having a Super Champ XD in your pocket. 
    Adopted northerner with Asperger syndrome. I sometimes struggle with empathy and sarcasm – please bear with me.   
    My trading feedback: https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/210335/yorkie

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17656
    tFB Trader
    Yorkie said:

Fender Mustang Micro if you’re not. It’s got buttons, a volume pot and doesn’t need a god damn phone. 

The Fender does Fender better than the NUX. The NUX does a better Marshall than the Fender. The effects on the Fender are limited but sound good. In a way, it’s like having a Super Champ XD in your pocket. 

only if you want it to be. As I do with all modellers I spent one evening setting up patches and then never used the app again. I just switch between them with the button and so there is no temptation to tweak.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • YorkieYorkie Frets: 1520
    Yorkie said:

only if you want it to be. As I do with all modellers I spent one evening setting up patches and then never used the app again. I just switch between them with the button and so there is no temptation to tweak.
    I did that with the NUX. I did it again with the GT-1. But I kept going back to editing the settings. And with the NUX, that means maybe checking out that email that’s just arrived, answering a comment or even going all hyper and start checking out that other headphone amp that doesn’t need a phone. Which I did, and here we are. 
    Adopted northerner with Asperger syndrome. I sometimes struggle with empathy and sarcasm – please bear with me.   
    My trading feedback: https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/210335/yorkie

• bencam1997bencam1997 Frets: 12
    I had some boss waza air headphones that were excellent, forget the novelty giro amp moving around your head thing though.... just set it in one place behind you and leave it alone imo
    Could I use a Torpedo Captor (there's one for sale here) and plug a headphone amp into the DI output thus giving me silent playing at home and still using my amp?
  • goldtopgoldtop Frets: 6180
    Could I use a Torpedo Captor (there's one for sale here) and plug a headphone amp into the DI output thus giving me silent playing at home and still using my amp?
    Yes. Although I find that dry guitar through headphones sounds 'wrong'. Good news: the Captor X that's also in the Classifieds here adds IRs, room reverb and includes a headphone output.
    goldtop said:
    Yes. Although I find that dry guitar through headphones sounds 'wrong'. Good news: the Captor X that's also in the Classifieds here adds IRs, room reverb and includes a headphone output.
    If I use reverb on my board would it not sound OK? It has cab/speaker sim doesn't it?
    Sadly I can't stretch to the Captor x
  • TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 7915
    Another vote for the Nux Mighty Plug Pro. Love mine.  Also have Nux Might Lite BT  mK2 for travel practice.  Also excellent 
    I ideally want to be able to use my amp though. Obviously it might not be possible for the money