Getting a Sitar / Toombi sound from electric guitar

stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27236
I have a wedding gig in October. It's one of my singers and a close friend, and she wants us to do a set at the reception and I'm very keen to do it justice. 

As it's a part-Indian wedding we're going to do Mundian To Bach Ke by Panjabi MC, which I means I want to cop something that sounds a bit like a toombi or sitar for the intro sound. 

Any suggestions? Obviously I'm v much of the opinion that playing the part with the right vibe is 66% of the task, but I want to make sure I'm at least working out my options before I commit to buying something or not buying something! Google so far turns up the EHX Ravish Sitar, or lots of people asking how to stop their guitar from sitaring but not much else. Any ideas using the Helix ecosystem as I'll likely be taking my HX Stomp with me already...? 

It's this one in case anyone is unfamiliar... 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c3P3lKFqYYM
The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• steamabacussteamabacus Frets: 1269
    edited April 29
    There's an old 'sitar sound' trick with the Boss DD-3. Basically you insert a socket into the 'direct out' so you only hear the effected sound from the normal output and use short delay times and plenty of feedback.

Can you replicate something like that in your HX Stomp?

[edit] By the way, your posted video comes up as 'unavailable' here.

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27236
    There's an old 'sitar sound' trick with the Boss DD-3. Basically you insert a socket into the 'direct out' so you only hear the effected sound from the normal output and use short delay times and plenty of feedback.

Can you replicate something like that in your HX Stomp?

Actually I have an Asheville ADG-1 and ACV-1, which can do similar things with extremely short delay times and modulation, filtering etc. That might be an inspired suggestion....  
  • koss59koss59 Frets: 855
    I used a Digitech Weapon when I toured with someone who’s hit single had an electric sitar solo.
    Not sure what they cost now.
    Facebook.com/nashvillesounduk/
  • paganskinspaganskins Frets: 276
    I wonder if you could do something with a sitar IR?

There is this for helix but no accompanying description https://line6.com/customtone/tone/4358229/
    I wonder if you could do something with a sitar IR?

There is this for helix but no accompanying description https://line6.com/customtone/tone/4358229/
    Cheers will definitely try that.

I got about halfway there with the ACV-1 with a very short delay time and quite a lot of feedback. Combined with the modulation on there it almost gives a sort of comb filtered vibe. And played with a coin instead of a pick gives it a bit more chirp. That's not a bad starting point
  • steersteer Frets: 1199
    edited April 29
    I can get a vaguely Sitarish sound on a Zoom Multistomp. 

Heavily EQ'd into a Vibrato and then 2 flangers working at different rates. 

I could dig out the settings, but there is not much point if you are doing it using a different pedal. 

Works best on single coil guitar using the bridge pup and striking the strings as close to the bridge as you possibly can. 

• blobbblobb Frets: 3011
    Ravish is a fun pedal after you have used it for the one sitar thing everybody ever wants it for (usually that Beatles song). Turn down the sitar bit and use the drone it's excellent.
    Feelin' Reelin' & Squeelin'
    Ta. I think I'll get there with either the ACV-1 and/or emulating the same vibe with the HX Stomp. 

I did send her a video and she was v happy. But I was in pyjamas and y'all don't need to see that. Might do another one later when in actual clothes... :D 
  • DannyPDannyP Frets: 1682
    I didn't take to the Ravish because of the latency. I could really feel the delay between playing and hearing the note which threw my timing off.