Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

opening song for first set - plus please discuss, rearrange, or criticise our set(s)

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• Whatever You Want, great song!

R.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • robinbowes;401065" said:
    Whatever You Want, great song!

R.
    This song always gets put forwards when I'm not sure what to play..."oh just play whatever you want"

Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
  • We often start with 'Don't Stop' or 'Twist and Shout'

These are easy to play, people know the words even if they're not singing along so early in the evening, allow for harmonies to be checked out and settle us down. Both can be rocked up or not, so fit the bill for us.
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11594
    tFB Trader
    I believe that the SECOND song is equally important, and that a band should launch from their first song straight into the second.

The first song kind of lets the audience know that the band are on stage and everybody finding their levels ok and the soundman tweaking away (if you have one). Then the band goes for broke with the second song and the audience are already primed, so it can make a bigger impact to the rest of the set and the audience reaction.

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3589
    Why not Bowies Rebel Rebel, you get to start and set your levels as you come in. It rocks but in a pleasant way. All the young dudes might be another option. Definitely segue into your second number as suggested above.

• FelineGuitars;401317" said:
    I believe that the SECOND song is equally important, and that a band should launch from their first song straight into the second.

The first song kind of lets the audience know that the band are on stage and everybody finding their levels ok and the soundman tweaking away (if you have one). Then the band goes for broke with the second song and the audience are already primed, so it can make a bigger impact to the rest of the set and the audience reaction.
    Totally agree (have a wisdom). The first one is a wake up call for everyone, so short and snappy...then the gig really starts.
  • Did anyone on here know that the lead singer of Steppenwolf's real name isn't John Kay? He was born Toby Wild.
    Leave.

NOW.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10410

We always start with a lot of noise, a count then all in on a big E or similar, like you would hear at the end of a song. I saw the Mama's Boys do it in the eighties and liked it so been doing it ever since :)

www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • Hush is a good starter - we do Hush -> Rocks with no stop (as mentioned above). Second set starts with the Kinks' YRGM. 
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

• bigjonbigjon Frets: 680
    My secret-weapon opener is The Way You Make Me Feel by Michael Jackson. I play it Stevie-Ray-Vaughan style, it's dead easy, and comes across as a bit different from the covers-band norm, plus it appeals equally to classic-rock listeners and up-for-it dancers who want the modern stuff.
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12666
    Ramones - Blitzkreig Bop. 

Four chord trick you can play in your sleep, gets people's attention, great hook, great opener.
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• impmann said:

Four chord trick you can play in your sleep, gets people's attention, great hook, great opener.
    ...but now people might think you're selling washing machines ;-)
  • Saw a Rock covers band opening with Kashmir...absolutely the worst choice of song to start a gig with, in my opinion.

+1 on the comments above re start with two short, punchy songs and off you go.

As it happens, being a wedding band, our first song is more often than not a first dance the couple has asked us to learn...usually something slow/ mid-tempo and romantic.. So, totally NOT short, punchy and "setting out your stall as you mean to go on"..:)
    We start our first set proper with Proud Mary...kind of a hybrid of the CCR and Tina Turner versions. We start with a slow bit then kick it up a gear. Bit of a nothing song, IMO, but enough oomph to get us out of the gates..and the "start slow/ end fast" thing helps bridge the gap between the first dance and our first set.

• From your original set list, and the style you are playing, I'd start with Boys Are Back In Town. Easy to recognise, upbeat, and you can put a bit of a shed on the end to clam the nerves.
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12666
    impmann said:

...but now people might think you're selling washing machines ;-)
    Hmmm, yes I see what you mean.

Looking at the rest of the set list there are more than a few I can think of that advertise shite on the telly...

Into the Valley - Halfords
    Ever Fallen in Love - Some car or other
    Sound of the Suburbs - some clothing or other
    Another Girl Another Planet - can't remember what but i know its being used at the mo

So the takeaway from this is, I remember the songs but not necessarily where they are being used in adverts - so the use in adverts doesn't work to associate them with the brands.

Ironically, the song we do by the Adverts - Gary Gilmores Eyes - isn't used in a TV ad!
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• ...hmmm...perhaps I should call up Specsavers marketing department.... B-)
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • Danny1969 said:

We always start with a lot of noise, a count then all in on a big E or similar, like you would hear at the end of a song. I saw the Mama's Boys do it in the eighties and liked it so been doing it ever since :)

slightly random thought - currently got Nine Below Zero playing and they always start with a shed load of noise ( in E I think it is, having covered it many moons ago) which turns into Pack Fair and Square, which is an old J Geils 12 bar played rather fast. Great opener.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • Gimme some lovin'
  • drwiddlydrwiddly Frets: 918
    My new band opens with dramatic intro tape, huge power chord and into The Mob Rules by Sabbath. Fun!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom