Suhr Hedgehog - maybe the wait is over?

What's Hot

Comments

• hubobuloushubobulous Frets: 2352
    Another video with Ian Thornley. This time showing a few thicker tones and the MIDI patch switching. I really like this.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • LewLew Frets: 1657
    Dayum! Sounds great I love his style!
  • AndyJPAndyJP Frets: 220
    Sounds tasty that
    Pete Thorn's demo has just been posted:
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    Wow, that Pete Thorn knows how to make me want an amp. The idea of having those 4 core sounds as pre-sets on the amp is brilliant. I know Pete's written about that philosophy before and it makes a lot of sense. 

That amp would be perfect for me....if only I could justify £2.5k !
  • paulmapp8306paulmapp8306 Frets: 847
    Tried one a couple of weeks back at Sounds Great.

1.  the basic clean tone if fabulouse.
    2.  The switchable boost does exactly what Id want.
    3.  The overdrive I found quite un-inspiring.  Felt like putting a TS in front of the amp which a - is cheaper and b- Ive never liked.  consequently the od plus boost wasnt great either.
    4.  Its Fookin loud and needs winding up for the best tones.  Theres no way to use any attenuation in the loop either as so much of the sound is from the power amp - including the boost,  youd need a speaker load.
    5.  Its a lot of money, and for me ist quite worth it.  For some who like the OD sound it would be,  everything else with the exception of the sounds (which are personal taste) is stunning.  
  • NerineNerine Frets: 2176
    I'd be all over this if I didn't already have a Two Rock.
  • NerineNerine Frets: 2176
    To be fair, I can imagine they sound quite similar anyway.

I have the Sensor 50 combo. By the sounds of things, I think the drive on the Sensor may be a little nicer. Difficult to say without having them both in the same room.
    So after seeing Ian Thornley at the clinic thanks to @peachguitarsdotcom last night, the Hedgehog is under serious consideration. To be fair, he could make anything sound awesome, but my god it sounded fantastic. Thick whilst retaining clarity and not becoming flubby or mushy. With his slide playing it was astonishing. A bloody lovely amp!!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    Although this vid has been posted elsewhere on the forum, I'm posting it here since it shows the Hedgehog off well and you might not see the other one.....

• KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3313
    Like that vid, player, playing and amp.

I've never heard of this guy or Big Wreck - like them!

So, when you getting one D @hubobulous?
    @Kebabkid - I'm saving!! I love the tones from this amp a lot and it sounded majestic the night I saw him at the @peachguitarsdotcom clinic that Ian did recently
    @hubobulous - Hey David. Did I miss something and do you now own one of these? I just read your boost thread and you mention it.

I'd love to hear your thoughts on it :)
    Hey Kos @Kebabkid

Yeah, I got a great deal second hand that I couldn't pass up. I really love it. The cleans are stunning and the cascading OD gives a lot of options.

Essentially there are two independent gain structures and by using different buttons, (boost, mids, deep, etc), you can sculpt a lot of different tones. These can then be stored as MIDI patches.

There is a 4 button foot switch that allows access to patches 1-4, but by using normal MIDI devices you can have up to 128 patches. I've recently dialled in my main 4 sounds and am now working on the H9 effects that are required for our set list.

The amp sounds lovely with an EP boost on the clean channel with single coils and is lovely with a Koko and/or Shiba hitting the light crunch and full gain tones.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • samzadgansamzadgan Frets: 1471
    too many knobs and not enough watts...usually a turn off for me...but this does sound pretty nice.

(edit: cant believe i agree with you on this...maybe i'm just getting old)
    Fantastic news and sounds really good.

This is the only amp in recent times that I've been interested in. Has my Divided got anything to be scared about? :)

Can't wait to hear this and see you soon.
    @samzadgan - it was only a matter of time :-)

It's very easy to use really. If you think of it as a 2 channel amp, with the gain channel switchable through MIDI, (or a button press on the facia), then the only othe things to consider are if you want the fx loop to be series or parallel and which of the other features you want for a preset.

You simply set your EQ and gain for both channels and then hit a couple of buttons for the desired additions and store it.

Even you could manage that on a 50watt behemoth with your sausage fingers and doom metal sensibilities ;-)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Kebabkid said:
    Fantastic news and sounds really good.

This is the only amp in recent times that I've been interested in. Has my Divided got anything to be scared about? :)

Can't wait to hear this and see you soon.
    Nothing to be scared of I don't think, but would be interesting to compare. The cleans are crystal, but your /13 was beautiful.

Obviously it's got that Dumble thing going on, but I find that with two guitarists in the band, it's a distinctive voicing that forms it's own space in the mix.

I'll compare it against my Lonestar soon. Neither will be going anywhere, but I want my pedalboard to be able to work with both which will mean some careful OD/Distortion setting.
  • kjdowdkjdowd Frets: 852
    I had a suhr badger 35 that I regret letting go of. I think they make great amps that - as pointed about above - really sing in a band mix. The Hedgehog looks like an ideal amp for me. When they actually make some I might try one out!
    @kjdowd - you're more than welcome to try mine. Where in London are you based?