NGD: A very abused and neglected Ibanez RG550 - 1987

What's Hot
SquireJapanSquireJapan Frets: 723
edited April 29 in Guitar
Couldn’t resist this. It’s a first year 1987 RG550 in road flare red. 

It’s been scalloped (not very well), and someone routed it for new layout. Totally destroyed the value, hence I could afford it

https://imgur.com/a/bZ09mNT

Needs a lot of love. 
0reaction image LOL 8reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72945
    That’s cool.

I have a friend who keeps buying wrecks like this - although in his case generally older Fenders - and getting me to fix them up.

I call it ‘dog rescue’ :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SquireJapanSquireJapan Frets: 723
    I love stuff with a bit of character. Someone put a lot of energy into this (not talent), and it’s been played a tonne (back of the neck is very well worn). 

Neck seems solid, and the electrics work. 

Off to @FelineGuitars soon for a good seeing to. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • guitarmanglerguitarmangler Frets: 600
    Nice ! That looks like something Paul Gilbert played on his instruction videos ! 
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 11047
    tFB Trader
    That's really cool ... I love guitars with this sort of vibe - heavily personalised working tools. Someone had mahoosive good taste in putting in a Firebird pickup ... 
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 12388
    edited April 30
    That's really cool ... I love guitars with this sort of vibe - heavily personalised working tools. Someone had mahoosive good taste in putting in a Firebird pickup ... 
    Yeah, I think that mini h/b will sound great in there.  That guitar has genuine mojo for sure!

* EDIT - looking forward to hearing about its' road to redemption @SquireJapan ; ;)
  • stonevibestonevibe Frets: 7182
    The days when guitarists played and modded their instruments. 

Rather than taking photos of them (for social media) and keeping them in locked cases as part of a collection/investment.

Nice!

Cool RG, very cool. 
    Guitar Bomb & Nembrini Audio Summer Giveaway 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • racefaceec90racefaceec90 Frets: 1014
    that is lovely enjoy :-D
    i like cake :-) here's my youtube channel   https://www.youtube.com/user/racefaceec90 

• CHRISB50CHRISB50 Frets: 4366
    Really like that. 

Enjoy mate. 

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to

• bassborabassbora Frets: 133
    Really love that 
  • LewyLewy Frets: 4346
    Love that. It's the Yngwie Gilbert signature model!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited April 30
    Lewy said:
    Ha! Love that. 

I’m torn as to whether I’ll ask to the scalloping “evened out”. 

It gets more scalloped towards the bridge (from barely to lots), and it’s not symmetrical from low e to high e.  

Also varnished with a brush …
  • LewyLewy Frets: 4346
    Lewy said:
    Ha! Love that. 

I’m torn as to whether I’ll ask to the scalloping “evened out”. 

It gets more scalloped towards the bridge (from barely to lots), and it’s not symmetrical from low e to high e.  

Also varnished with a brush …
    I think the Blackmore strat gets progressively more scalloped towards the bridge so that could well be deliberate. Does it get more or less scalloped as you go towards the high e? 
    edited April 30
    It does indeed - it's deeper on the high E side, and as you go towards the bridge it gets deeper.

I don't know why, but I feel we're diagnosing something. Not a bad thing!
  • gumbothewiddlergumbothewiddler Frets: 337
    Great score! I reckon it’s probably a good player as Nobody plays a really bad guitar that much…
    edited May 1
    So this thing is ace!

Took of the biohazard strings, cleaned the fretboard gunk and "polished" the frets with Brasso.

There's varnish on the sides of frets, which is quite telling.

Has a TB4 in the bridge, more modern than I thought (modern printed label).

Sounds very "hotlicks VHS" shreddy ... (reminds me how Paul Gilbert sounded on those intense rock videos).

Lots of fun, and clearly can't yet do this justice, though I will!

Frets def need a proper seeing to, but for now I'll live with it until I get it "Feline'd"
  • jdbwalesjdbwales Frets: 316
    How’s the scalloped neck feel? I’ve been tempted to try a scalloped neck on my RG but I fear the usual ‘bending chords out of tune’ stuff!
  • DrBobDrBob Frets: 3013
    As others have said I love guitars like this it’s got so much personality. How stable is the neck ? There’s not a lot of wood on them without scalloping them 
    It’s holding tune and seems straight. Doesn’t deflect much when I pull the headstock forward (that’s an odd little test I do on guitars after owning one that would move enough to go out of tune if depending on how you held it). 

Scallops I love, they’re kind of their own thing, but I love them. Had another guitar with them, took a week or so of playing to learn to get the tension right, now it’s fine. Made my touch much lighter. 
  • CHRISB50CHRISB50 Frets: 4366
    jdbwales said:
    How’s the scalloped neck feel? I’ve been tempted to try a scalloped neck on my RG but I fear the usual ‘bending chords out of tune’ stuff!
    Try playing without using your thumb on your fretting hand. Just use your fingers. No thumb at all. Not over the neck, not behind the neck. 

Very quick way to instantly lighten the pressure you put on the strings. Once you get used to how it feels, add the thumb back in. 

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to