Are original Fuzz Factories collectable?

What's Hot
StuartMac290StuartMac290 Frets: 1486
I have a rare hand-painted Fuzz Factory, one of a limited run of only five pedals with a CND logo on it. Signed by both Zachary Vex and Myrold. Are these actually worth anything? Some of the Reverb prices seem wild.

I'm of a mind to flog it, buy a Vexter version and pocket the rest.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• DoctorXDoctorX Frets: 381
    Could be worth a few quid. Does it have spam can transistors?
  • StuartMac290StuartMac290 Frets: 1486
    DoctorX said:

Well, there's a question! I've absolutely no idea. What am I looking for?
    DoctorX said:

Well, there's a question! I've absolutely no idea. What am I looking for?

A quick bit of research suggests not - it looks like they ran out in about 1998 and this one was made in 2003
  • UnclePsychosisUnclePsychosis Frets: 12981
    Zvex stuff seems really hard to price. The hand painted ones are ace, but it's a lot of money just for a paint job, and IMO there are too many different paint jobs for the collectors to go full on pokemon gotta-catch-them-all with them. 

People certainly ask reasonable cash for them. Take a look at Ebay and Reverb sold/completed items and you might get some clues if they're actually selling. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72802
    I had an early original Myrold-painted stripboard one. I then got a limited edition PCB one (still Myrold-painted), and sold the original. I tried to convince myself that the newer one sounded as good, but it just didn’t…

I have no idea if the difference was the board (I know it shouldn’t be) or some other factor, but I wish I’d kept the first one.

So, no I would not sell it and buy a Vexter version.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• slackerslacker Frets: 2266
    edited May 1
    On harmony central fx forums there was a discussion regarding the gulf war. Zachary vex said that all he knew was that 'Jesus don't bomb' mr100 asked for a paint job and it was white with a cnd logo. I think that was 1 of 1 and the cnd ones followed after.

Also fuzz factories don't sound the same. The aforementioned jesus dont bomb fuzz factory looked very different to mine but sounded the same as my 2000 green one. A friend has one a month apart from mine from the same shipped batch to soundsgreat rip and it sounds different. 
    ICBM said:
    I had an early original Myrold-painted stripboard one. I then got a limited edition PCB one (still Myrold-painted), and sold the original. I tried to convince myself that the newer one sounded as good, but it just didn’t…

I have no idea if the difference was the board (I know it shouldn’t be) or some other factor, but I wish I’d kept the first one.

Ah, interesting - I was about to ask if anyone had compared the original to the Vexter ones.
  • DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 5581
    I used to be on a Muse fan forum and they were all mad for the FF. 
  • GoFishGoFish Frets: 1486
    Anything's collectable if you try hard enough. ;)

For Zvex it's a blanacing act between the sheer notoriety of the FF vs the many that were sold. So I'd say it would have to be earlier than yours or in some way ltd. to be particularly collectable. But I will ask, at what price mojo?
    Ten years too late and still getting it wrong
  • SeziertischSeziertisch Frets: 1328
    ICBM said:

I suspect that any two Fuzz Factories, while in the same ballpark, will sound and behave a bit different. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • stonevibestonevibe Frets: 7181
    I suspect that any two Fuzz Factories, while in the same ballpark, will sound and behave a bit different. 

I had a video chat with Zachary (and Joel from Chase Bliss, as they used to work together). He pretty much alluded to that when I asked him about the design. 

GoFish said:
    Anything's collectable if you try hard enough. ;)

For Zvex it's a blanacing act between the sheer notoriety of the FF vs the many that were sold. So I'd say it would have to be earlier than yours or in some way ltd. to be particularly collectable. But I will ask, at what price mojo?
    It's marked as number 5 of a limited run of 5, so I'd say that's pretty limited!

I'm not very clued-up on the collectability side of gear, though. Although I did manage to sell a Lovetone for £2200 last year.
  • GoFishGoFish Frets: 1486
    edited May 1
    GoFish said:
    Anything's collectable if you try hard enough.

It's marked as number 5 of a limited run of 5, so I'd say that's pretty limited!

I'm not very clued-up on the collectability side of gear, though. Although I did manage to sell a Lovetone for £2200 last year.

Well then, you may be the expert!

Given it's signed x2 and ltd, it is probably "worth" a few bob to the right buyer.

Unfortunately, I would think that buyer may not be in the market for a while yet.

Unless you're desperate for the cash or just want rid, i'd sit tight. Zvex stuff will be worth more in the meduim to long term ime.

FWIW, if I won the lotto thats the sort of FF I may spring for.
    Ten years too late and still getting it wrong