Bass Identification - Aria

What's Hot
johnboyno8johnboyno8 Frets: 7
edited May 3 in Bass
Hello all,

Got no serial number on this bass that I’d like to get fixed up or throw out if it’s not worth the effort. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• johnboyno8johnboyno8 Frets: 7
    Images coming shortly!

• prowlaprowla Frets: 4979
    Can you embed the images to avoid needing to click on them?
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72913
    Too modern for my knowledge of Aria models unfortunately.

Why would knowing the serial number help decide if it's worth fixing? Are all the parts there? Is the neck OK?

It's not an especially expensive bass, but almost everything in this price/quality range is a perfectly good instrument *unless* it has some sort of serious fault.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    prowla said:
    Can you embed the images to avoid needing to click on them?
    The embed option doesn’t seem to work on mobile. Will try from computer later on if I can.
    Was hoping a serial number would then assist in replacement parts if needed. Not sure of this wiring setup you see.
    ICBM said:
    Too modern for my knowledge of Aria models unfortunately.

Why would knowing the serial number help decide if it's worth fixing? Are all the parts there? Is the neck OK?

It's not an especially expensive bass, but almost everything in this price/quality range is a perfectly good instrument *unless* it has some sort of serious fault.

edited May 3
    Was hoping a serial number would then assist in replacement parts if needed. Not sure of this wiring setup you see.
    It looks like a generic volume, pickup balance, bass, treble (probably - or the last two may be the other way round) setup, with traditional through-hole parts, so simple to repair if it's not working. Have you tried it through an amp? You don't need the strings to do that, just tap the tops of the pickups with a steel screwdriver or similar while turning the controls and you should be able to hear if anything isn't working.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14714
    ^
    What he said.

Probably restorable to full playability but at some cost in time, effort and money. The stock pickups may be of non-standard dimensions. Thus, it may be difficult to find direct replacements.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    Thanks guys,
     Yeah low /no output so definitely needs some attention but the neck/frets etc are fine just needs a good setup
    Is there gaffer tape on the battery wiring, near where it passes through the body to the battery compartment? I can't see quite clearly enough in the photo to tell, but if there is it may indicate a bodged repair. Unfortunately it doesn't look like there's a quick and easy way of bypassing the preamp so you can tell if the pickups work or not - but the chances are they do, since it would be unlikely for both to fail at the same time* so if it isn't a preamp or wiring fault, one would work. I can't see any other obvious problems with the wiring, although that doesn't mean there aren't any.

(*Unlike the 80s Japanese Aria basses, where spontaneous pickup failure is now sadly common and it wouldn't be that surprising to find both dead on a two-pickup bass.)

Good spot on the tape. Will start there for sure!