Whats your best cheapo?

What's Hot
swillerswiller Frets: 1317
Mine..
1989 e9 korean squier strat £130 e bay.
Pups from classifieds here. £45 - City limits.
Wiring innards and pots all replaced using pro loca luthier and setup and shielding, install new tuners etc. £120.
Other Parts - £50.
£345.
Heavy as a les paul, laminate body, neck to die for.  Very meaty sounding strat that plays like a dream. Holds its own vs 1989 USA std and so much better than a now sold 2010 chinese cv. 

Dont worry, be silly.
0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Pete.RPete.R Frets: 415
    edited May 3
    Only one real 'Cheapo' left in the collection...

currently the Stagg SES-60 is my only 'Cheapo'
    bought it new for less than €200
    • 2 €pis, one Indonesian - one Korean made
    • 1 Crafter SA-TM, Korean made
    • 1 CoolZ FujiGen made
    • 11 FGNs

life is too short to mess around with cheap stuff
    while the 'good ones' are collecting dust

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • simonhpiemansimonhpieman Frets: 684
    Squier Vintage Modified Telecaster Deluxe. After sending it to my tech it's quite possibly the best playing guitar I own.

Whether the frets wear away in months remain to be seen but for now it feels incredible.

And it was £200.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5452
    MIM Player Mustang that I got from Guitarguitar for £389. Modded the hell out of it - Mojo pickups and a new 4-way/wiring loom, locking tuners and titanium saddles. So in reality, it was anything but cheap.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Pete.RPete.R Frets: 415
    edited May 3
    another 'cheap' one is the CoolZ ZST-V, basicly a Fender/Squier FujiGen made Strat,
    it was sold in Japan for ~ €200 - with shipping and Tax/VAT it was still a bargain for ~ €400

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23199
    edited May 4
    Probably a couple of MIJ Epiphones, LP Junior and Special, built by FujiGen I think, in 2006.  They were about £380 each.  The pickups and electronics could probably do with upgrading, but the guitars are really nicely made.

As always, I don't have pics, but as an example the Special is very much like this one (without a case, but they have quite nice gig bags):

0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 3096
    Squier Affinity Precision bought for £100 on here. All standard except for a black pickguard. I can't put the thing down.
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • jdbwalesjdbwales Frets: 314
    Yamaha Revstar RS320, first generation. Frighteningly close to my Gibson LP Custom for sub £200.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Devil#20Devil#20 Frets: 1989
    edited May 3
    Squier Affinity Butterscotch Telecaster. Bought locally through FB and like new. £70. It was fine to start with but it's become my pickup test bed. The neck was already routed for single or humbucker. Copper shielded it, replaced all the swtichgear, caps and pots for better quality stuff and Kluson split shaft vintage tuners. Fretwork sorted and tru-oiled neck and..ahem...replaced the head decal with a Fender one and clear nitro over it. I'm not selling it so that doesn't matter. If I ever did sell it I'd sand the decal off and re-finish the headstock. I wouldn't want the buyer to then go and pass it off as a Fender. Nowadays the name on the headstock doesn't mean much to me at all. 

Ian

Lowering my expectations has succeeded beyond my wildest dreams.

• TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 8029
    The Goldtop Gretsch Pro Jet I picked up here is pretty darn impressive. Fabulous neck, effortless neck with a bit of girth to it.  I picked it up with loads of upgraded, and in a Gretsch hard case for £300. 

Its has a fret level and luthier setup, and plays incredibly well. It’s about to get a Bigsby B3 and Towner bar. Worth the investment 

Very happy with fhat. I’ve played guitars ten tomes
    more expensive that this could run circles around. 

• RevolutionsRevolutions Frets: 249
    edited May 3
    Squier cv bought 10 years back for not much money. At some point I added rubbish rattle can refin & Tonerider ac2 in neck. Apart from the neck feeling a bit uncomfortable, sounds easily as good as my AVRI 52 Tele.
    0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Squier cv with rubbish rattle can refin & Tonerider ac2 added to neck  
    They come stock with Tonrider pickups. 
  • LessPaulLessPaul Frets: 92
    edited May 4
    Esquire partscaster’ bought here from @Lewligan - Solid Alder  Hosco (Japan) body finished in sea foam green, Mighty Mite satin neck, all top end USA hardware (custom notched bridge, compensated brass saddles, high ratio staggered tuners etc), quality pots/caps/wiring AND! a Bare Knuckle Piledriver pickup.
    This  honestly plays and sounds as good as they get ——— Oh’ and I paid £150 for it!!!!!
    https://i.imgur.com/EFeO81s.jpg
    0reaction image LOL 5reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited May 3
    TheMarlin said:
    You can’t get left-handed with HB in neck.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    TheMarlin said:
    You can’t get left-handed with HB in neck.
    It’s a shame that the lefties are so often neglected. They’re the more creative players. 
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14592
    Squier Vintage Modified Telecaster Deluxe.
    Squier VM Telecaster Custom II - essentially, the same guitar as simonpieman but with hot Duncan Designed P90s. Still stock except for machineheads, string guides and bridge saddles.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • LionAquaLooperLionAquaLooper Frets: 1159
    Pacifica 112 natural finish w/maple board that i bought for a 100 this year. Turned into an HH using some cheap but excellent Musiclily humbuckers, and wired using a Charvel schematic. Sounds and plays so damn nice and so versatile.

Close 2nd is my Harley Benton SC450 Plus. Didnt even need to mod it. £180 when I bought it brand new years ago. 
  • hollywoodroxhollywoodrox Frets: 4215
    I used to have a squier contemporary strat in white with the 2 point bridge  it was amazing 
      Almost Charvel like  even a tech mentioned this once ,lovely neck . I put gotoh locking tuners on it & I think some sort of graphtec string tree disc instead of the regular ones . Absolutely superb I’d have a job to ever get one like it again 
  • TanninTannin Frets: 5546
    I played a remarkable 2 Series Taylor a couple of years ago, it was one out of the box for sure. (Or was it a 1 Series? Can't remember now, but either way it was much better than they usually are and a more than worthy instrument.)
  • guitarjack66guitarjack66 Frets: 1892
    I have six guitars,four acoustic,two electric and not one of them cost over £200. This question does not compute for me.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom