Custom shop fat 50s.

What's Hot
ditchboyditchboy Frets: 306
Just got my Strat back yesterday from the tech who’s put a set of these in for me. All I can say is I’m blown away by how good they sound, part of it might be to do with the set up he’s given it but the guitar feels very open all of a sudden. Can’t see me ever taking these out. 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• GoFishGoFish Frets: 1517
    I'd love to try a set. I've heard so many good things. I have 57/62s in a couple so it doesn't seem worth the upgrade from those.
    Ten years too late and still getting it wrong
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5482
    They are all-time classics. Enjoy!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • bazxkrbazxkr Frets: 618
    edited May 4
    Yeh my faves on a strat too. Heard great things about CS69s as well must try a set one day

@ditchboy what did you take out
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72945
    They are excellent, but there’s a clue in the name - they can be a little fatter than some people like if they’re after that very glassy clean Strat tone. A friend had some in quite a dark-sounding Strat, and they were a bit too dull - he’s replaced them with Bareknuckle Mother’s Milks and is much happier. I then put one of the Fat 50s in a Strat another friend had that needed a bridge pickup to go with two USA Stds in the neck and middle, and it’s fantastic - in a much brighter-sounding guitar - a bit more midrange, almost like halfway to a Tele.

Still don’t know why they insist on using the wound-3rd polepiece stagger though. Even a slightly lower G pole would be better.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ditchboyditchboy Frets: 306
    bazxkr said:
    Yeh my faves on a strat too. Heard great things about CS69s as well must try a set one day

I’d have to check exactly. Think it was 64,69,Texas special. It’s a custom shop and tbf they were ok but wasn’t keen on the Texas. 
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12505
    GoFish said:
    I'd love to try a set. I've heard so many good things. I have 57/62s in a couple so it doesn't seem worth the upgrade from those.
    I marginally prefer the 57/62s, i also liked the american 59 set that were in my AO strat.
  • Th4fonzTh4fonz Frets: 267
    Hand wound Fat 60s are fantastic also
  • kossofffankossofffan Frets: 556
    My CS Strat has a mix of Texas Special (bridge), Fat 50’s (middle), 69 Strat (neck) and am pretty chuffed with the tone range available. Would love another with a set of Fat 50’s throughout. Maybe one day! 
  • Strat54Strat54 Frets: 2441
    Great pickups, they were standard fit in the '58 Custom Shop Strats from the 1996-1998 period.
    bazxkr said:

69,65,TS. I’m not very good at articulating what it sounds like but the guitar feels very open and has a lovely deep chime to it. Bridge isn’t as quacky either I don’t think. 
  • simonhpiemansimonhpieman Frets: 688
    I had these in a 2015 American Standard - ash body and maple neck. Really, REALLY like that sound a lot! Wouldn't hesitate to get another set.
  • slackerslacker Frets: 2269
    I've got the handwound version in my nos strat. I found out because having bought the guitar used I thought they were fralins or lollars. Nope BPs.
  • BoromedicBoromedic Frets: 4991
    Handwired Fat 50s and Fat 60s are among the best Strat pickups for sure, love the ones in my CS Strat. Great choice :)

The yard is nothing but a fence, the sun just hurts my eyes...

• guitarblasterguitarblaster Frets: 387
    I have the fat 50s in my CS strat, says they’re hand wound but i doubt that makes much difference! I think they sound really good, I even think the bridge is useable! 
    I have the fat 50s in my CS strat, says they’re hand wound but i doubt that makes much difference! I think they sound really good, I even think the bridge is useable! 
    Exactly. I wasn’t a fan of the bridge on the old set but this is pretty good. 
  • fretfinderfretfinder Frets: 5100
    ditchboy said:
    bazxkr said:

I’d have to check exactly. Think it was 64,69,Texas special. It’s a custom shop and tbf they were ok but wasn’t keen on the Texas. 
    I’m pretty sure it was a 69 neck, 65 middle and TS bridge. 
    260+ positive trading feedbacks: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/57830/