Guitar Sound port test

What's Hot
GuitarrasLuthierGuitarrasLuthier Frets: 2
edited May 7 in Acoustics

I leave you here a video where you can hear what a guitar with a side sound hole sounds like. It is an accessory that is not yet widespread but that I consider to be a great success.

Whenever I see how someone reacts when they play a guitar with a side soundhole for the first time, I confirm this.

At approximately the 50th second, the mouth on the side opens and you can see the difference. It is always better to listen to it with good speakers or good headphones. I hope you like it.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ToneControlToneControl Frets: 12040
    edited May 6
    you broke the link somehow

I have several with soundports. It works really well, unless the hole is too large, then it sounds mid-heavy
  • SoupmanSoupman Frets: 247
    I like the idea of the 'hatch cover' - you get the choice of open or closed. 
     :)

• you broke the link somehow

Thank you very much, I hadn't realized!
    edited May 7
    Soupman said:

I've seen sliding ones, I'd worry they'd rattle

I assume this one is magnetic, with some damping material between the 2 pieces of wood to stop rattles, or that it's a tight fit
  • Soupman said:

I've seen sliding ones, I'd worry they'd rattle

I assume this one is magnetic, with some damping material between the 2 pieces of wood to stop rattles, or that it's a tight fit
    Yes, it is magnetic. Although the truth is that guitarists like to have the cover, but they never use it.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • jaymenonjaymenon Frets: 837
    The condenser microphone there is positioned unusually, significantly higher than normal and is therefore much more likely to pick up the sound of the sound port...

...than it would be, had it been placed at the more common spot - at the junction of the neck with the body at the 14th fret.
  • jaymenon said:
    The condenser microphone there is positioned unusually, significantly higher than normal and is therefore much more likely to pick up the sound of the sound port...

...than it would be, had it been placed at the more common spot - at the junction of the neck with the body at the 14th fret.
    It was placed there so that the guitar can be heard as the guitarist hears it, and as the guitarist hears the guitar with and without a cap on the sound port.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TheMadMickTheMadMick Frets: 245
    I noticed that!! There are to many variables to make this a meaningful test. You gotta try it yourself and preferably with a reliable set of independent ears as well in the sort of environment you expect to play in.
    these soundport do work, but best to try one if you are not convinced!